How many are still working and what do you do?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ripple

Veteran
I am a security officer working for an agency. My main places of work now are university campuses and students accommodations. As an agency we cover uni security staff who are staying at home - they are paid in full for this while we are not so we have no chance but to go to work. Luckily there are loads of work now (I've done 297 hours in March).

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
About half of my work is lab-based but I've been mostly at home doing admin and having a go at writing a little routine in Python to automate some data extraction (so far, no good!). Might go in for short periods this week mostly for safety reasons - a colleague might want to do some lab work and lone working isn't allowed. The vast majority of the rest of the employees are working from home- very few of us are not 100% office-based. Social distancing at work is not currently a challenge.

Probably I won't go in because it'll be decided that my colleagues' work isn't sufficiently important.

Julia9054

Guru
TAs are on rota more than teachers because schools are open for key workers children and for children with EHC plans. In my mainstream secondary school we have around 15 - 20 children in school. Many of those are pupils that don’t usually attend mainstream lessons and work in learning support with TAs. We have a rota for management, a rota for teachers and a rota for TAs. Due to the pool of teaching staff being very much larger than the other two groups, we are much less likely to be called in.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP works from home anyway for the largest IT company in the world and is really busy.

My proper job in entertainment is dead, all work cancelled, I’ve lost thousands of pounds in work, friends and colleagues in the same business have lost a lot more than me.

The good news is that I start a new (more worthwhile) part time job on Wednesday For a charity that help blind and sight impaired people . Not sure how that’s going manifest itself yet, time will tell.

Jimidh

Veteran
been off since mid march , full pay and banked hours so far but it does not look promising long term, trying to explain to son why i am not buying him a new games console but he isnt bothered .
I worry about how we will be able to keep a roof over our heads the way it is going .
I feel for everyone in your situation who suddenly find through no fault of their own they are in the financial shitter.
I really do worry about how we come out if this as a society if we don’t look after people properly and try to rebuild peoples live’s.

good luck.

Julia9054

Guru
Mover and shaker in the music biz. The whole business has ground to a halt so have been furloughed.
Both my sons just starting out as pro musicians. Their entire lives have been cancelled

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I see our local Co-op have installed temporary but proper looking screens, perhaps made by your company ?
No we’ve not supplied the Co op, we do supply;
Santander.
Nationwide.
YBS group.
Leeds Building Society.
Newcastle Building Society.
Some Hotels & Cohens chemists.
Our MD has kindly given away some screens to various local businesses that are remaining open, I thought that was nice, he’s usually a bit tight!

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
been off since mid march , full pay and banked hours so far but it does not look promising long term, trying to explain to son why i am not buying him a new games console but he isnt bothered .
I worry about how we will be able to keep a roof over our heads the way it is going .

Yeh my lads Birthday is in May, going to be a muted affair this year unfortunately.

Top Bottom