How many are still working and what do you do?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I work in an FE college and I've been working from home for the past couple of weeks, which has proven much harder than even I realised as I actually quite looking forward to tackling all those small jobs that eat away at the back of your mind when dealing with the day to day stuff. It turns out, as I'm the manager of 3 different departments, that between having regular team meetings to get everyone organised working from home and disseminating information that's coming from above and even trying and explain why no information is coming from above. I've also to attend different meetings to feedback how the troops are coping in their new working environment, dse and the like and complete spreadsheet after spreadsheet about the working plan for everyone and when and how much of it is completed. The post is quite important to my department as learners send in work based evidence, so twice a week I cycle to the sorting office then take it into the college and sort and action as necessary, before heading for home another way. They are now looking for volunteers to go on furlough, but no mention of topping up the 20% so not sure how many they will get and who exactly will and won't qualify for it anyway. I've also volunteered with my local community council to run errands for any vulnerable residents within my area and if demand for that increased, then I think I would apply to be furloughed. I do like to be busy and feel useful but I definitely thought that working from home would be much easier than it actually is.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hello all, just interested to see how many are still working and what are you doing?.

We are still at work repairing Motorcycles, no customers allowed in building and no bike sales etc.

Been pretty low morale wise this last week but we're still turning in.

Still farming, still producing lots of healthy nutritious food for my local community.
Mainly vegetables and eggs, and a bit of grain.

Have five other people who happen to live here, in one capacity or another, so we are getting lots done, including long overdue, tidying of p'soc.

(And a bit of disco)

I'm also a yoga teacher..
Real life classes suspended for now.

But I'm taking that online from Monday evening.

Suddenly my 'weird alternative lifestyle'...

(as it has been perceived by some in the past)

... Makes a good deal of sense in the New World Order..

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Warehouse monkey for a car parts retailer. Low pay, incredibly hard work and long hours, absolutely love it. Not in at the moment though as I have the virus :sad:

Get well soon,
Hard work with a good team brings its own rewards..

More money would be nice, but there's more to life for sure.

Having said that all those low paid workers putting their lives on the line and having to mix with any number of possibly infected folk should be getting more support.

PPE, in the short term, and definitely more money, and appreciation of their vital services in the longer term..

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Warehouse monkey for a car parts retailer. Low pay, incredibly hard work and long hours, absolutely love it. Not in at the moment though as I have the virus :sad:
When this is all over C, I think you should start doing stand-up routines at your nearest comedy club- that's what a friend of our son did in America a couple of years ago who had an eye for writing original jokes and he's doing well on local circuits [well, until a few weeks ago].

+ hope you're feeling better soon.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
GWS Cavalol, take care.

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
I've been furloughed now since 28th March and moved onto the 80%, not ideal but far better than the alternative.

I work for a drainage company doing all aspects, from tanker work, (I have my HGV licence), to reactive work, the latter of which throws a potential spanner in the works, (housing association), but we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.

I considered doing some agency driving when the effluent originally hit the fan, but it's just not worth it, one due to family reasons and two as I'm getting the 80% now anyway.

So I might as well use the time as it's intended, although if Mrs Smoo finds me anything else to feckin' decorate I might just reconsider :crazy:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I've been furloughed now since 28th March and moved onto the 80%, not ideal but far better than the alternative.

I work for a drainage company doing all aspects, from tanker work, (I have my HGV licence), to reactive work, the latter of which throws a potential spanner in the works, (housing association), but we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.

I considered doing some agency driving when the effluent originally hit the fan, but it's just not worth it, one due to family reasons and two as I'm getting the 80% now anyway.

So I might as well use the time as it's intended, although if Mrs Smoo finds me anything else to feckin' decorate I might just reconsider :crazy:
At least you're used to washing your hands a lot Smoo.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I work in Fleet Management and we maintain a lot of vehicles for key organisations, consequently a lot of our people have key-worker status. I'm not one of them, but as I'm able to work from home that's what I'm doing.

Software development. I was working 2 or 3 days a week at home before all this so our company is pretty much working as normal. As normal as normal can be these days.

Top Bottom