How many are still working and what do you do?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Semi retired, but I work in a newsagents so we are still open. In fact we are busier than ever with deliveries of papers and provisions and I'm getting a fair bit of overtime. That may seem like a win, but looking around at what is now a ghost town with most business shut I worry about what will happen to many of them when this is over. Pembrokeshire is dependant on tourism for it's economy and many of the pubs, restaurants and hotels will not have the reserves to withstand more than a very short shut down. It is probably already too late for a few of them.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't work. I've applied for a couple of part time jobs since retirement, but nothing has come up.

Mrs D is deputy year head at a very large school. She tends to deal with the pastoral stuff, welfare, safeguarding, admin, and she's able to do about 80% of her role from home, so she does. Of course, with the schools closed and only holding court for the sprogs of essential personnel she's maybe got an hours work to do each day. She still gets full pay, but even if she quit work entirely she still has her police pension and disability benefits, and with my police pension, injury award and rental income we would still survive just fine.

So, we're very lucky, not worrying about where next weeks shekels are coming from and are thoughts are very much with those who are struggling on reduced income, or who may have even lost their job entirely :sad:

Last edited:

contadino

Veteran
My company generates income for schools by renting facilities outside school hours. With schools shut, the rest of the company has been furloughed but I'm still working, writing new software. It's a great chance to get on without being distracted by day-to-day stuff.

The wife's a journalist who's found it so much easier to get interviews now that everyone's bored and lonely.

DRHysted

Guru
I work in the specialty chemical industry 1 of 5 in the world producing our products, so at present it’s business as normal all the time we can get raw materials in and the customers are placing their orders. Over 80% of our products are exported and a lot of our RM comes from abroad so the industry’s in the rest of Europe are obviously still functioning well, even our Italian customers are still placing orders and taking deliveries.
My small role is loading the tankers, containers, and other lorries, so I’m dealing with numerous foreign (English drivers are rare) everyday. We’ve put as many measures as possible in place to maintain distancing, but explaining this to foreigners who think PPE is flip flops can be interesting/entertaining.
Should’ve added started cycling to work again as my Achilles has eased up, some driving is still shocking considering what’s going on.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Freelance market researcher, contracting 4 days a week for a global agency. Work is beginning to slow down with clients postponing projects or putting them on hold. I have offered to go to 3 days a week so the perm staff have more to do.

Am in fortunate position that this won’t be an issue financially for some time, however any fewer days and I’d get silly bored esp if there are further lockdown measures!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I work for the Government, but having been identified as a key worker, work is continuing but from home. Fortunately I can (generally) access most systems via a secure VPN and most of the external companies I deal with also have staff working from home. But eventually things will grind to a halt.
Brother in law is a software engineer for a technology conglomerate. According to my sister he is having to put in 18 hour days trying either to keep client companies software systems working or be adapted for the current situation.
Child 1 is an assistant head and is currently on a rota for looking after children of key workers in school, as well as trying to provide lessons remotely to children she would normally teach. She has also has been told she will be in school over Easter, so that school can take children of parents of key workers.

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Working from home, managing data for an environmental records centre. We each took stuff how & there's an online project we're working on.
It seems that without the distractions of the office, we're getting more done than usual.

Though we are missing our lovely volunteers.

Top Bottom