How many bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I'm killing time until I go to work, and I'm nosey.
So - how many bikes have you had in your life time? And how many do you currently have?
I only had one bike as a child - not counting my little pink trike - I learned to ride on my brother's old bike and then was bought a Raleigh Disco when I was 7. It lasted me four years then lived in the shed for a few more before being resprayed and passed on.
I now have two bikes, I'm going to get rid of the appollo metis in favour of either a pashley or an electra cruiser when I have the spare money.
Eventually I hope to progress from the specialized vita hybrid to a drop bar, I saw a bianchi that was beautiful but I was too scared of the bars lol.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I had around 6 from 0 - 18 years old, I used to do dirt jumps and snapped a few frames.

Currently have 4, although looking at selling two and replacing them with one.

I think 20 bikes since my first trike as a toddler about 40 years back.

Currently I have 5 bikes in working order, another 2 in pieces and half a tandem.

I'd really like to add a recumbent to the set this year, but that'll depend on whether the other bikes need some major attention or not.

mickle

innit
I lost count, but around 100, slightly over half of which were mountain bikes. I currently own four with another one on the way. Plus half a mountain bike. Plus a big pile of scrap round the side of the garage from which i could probably cobble another three.

I've had ten, starting with a clunky seconhand Schwinn back in 1964. I still have six of them although only three are in regular use by me - two in our old family home in New Hampshire, USA, one with my 17 year-old son in Australia, and three with me in current use in England. Of those, one is a 13 year-old Thorn eXp expedition tourer with about 80,000 miles on it, one is a four year old Pegoretti Luigino and ine is a nearly new bespoke lightweight tourer made for me by Enigma.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lost count at how many over the past 40 years. But currently down to only 3. Which is the lowest it's been for 5 years.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Generic BMX x2
Dawes boys racer
Raleigh Maraurder
British Eagle something

Current Raleigh Mission
Current Carrera Virtuoso

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Ive got my hbrid and a 20 year old raleigh mtb which i havent used in a while. I think the dropouts on the mtb are slightly bent after i broke the rear axle trying to power up a hill :O Id quite like to fix it up someday as a pub bike though :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
I NEVER had a new bike as a kid in the 60s and 70s :blush: Dad was in the services and often away for long periods and i think with hindsight mum struggled for money. The only bike i remember was at around 14, cant remember where it came from, but i do remember servicing the hubs and freewheels, BBs and headsets to get it going so it must have been a wreck.

I really can't remember what i had in early adulthood, bikes didnt figure much until i was in my 20s, then only for commuting, nothing more.
Must be IRO 10 or 12 bikes all together, most later in life.
Currently have 4, Bianchi Via Nirone, Ribble carbon Sportive, Raleigh Clubman and a Trek hybrid....although i strugglwe for space in the shed...there's 7 bikes in the household between 3 of us. :whistle:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As I've mentioned in another thread, 9 bikes and one (Cycles Maximus) trike.

I can't remember the brand of my first two bikes but the first one I loved (I still remember the thrill of the stabilizers coming off), the second one I hated - it was a racer lookalike and even at age 6 I realised it was really badly made. I had my first proper crash on that bike because I couldn't make the brake work on a steep hill and as a result I feel unsafe on drop bars even today.:eek:

The following birthday I had a single speed Dawes Junior Kingpin which I consider my first proper bike - this one took me on my first inter-town ride plus other adventures and was the one that really got cycling into my blood.:hyper:

After the Kingpin came a second hand, adult size Dawes. I never knew the model name but it was a 23" frame (too big for me at first) with 5 gears and downtube shifters. After the incident mentioned above I obviously didn't get on with the drops it came with, so converted it to straight bars and suddenly I was cool because everyone assumed it was one of those new-fangled mountain bikes.:wacko:

Eventually Dawes-2 wore out.:sad: I would have liked to have saved it but in hindsight I couldn't have done anything about the dented chainstay which was slowly getting more and more creased. If I'd ridden it much longer I suspect it would have collapsed. Instead I opted for the first new bike I'd bought with my own money; a Raleigh Pioneer Jaguar. This one is great and it is still my main bike after 14 years. It is everything I loved about the Dawes but with far better indexed gears (originally 18, now 21, possibly 24 soon?)

Apart from those, since 2000 I've kept 3 cheap bikes for those quick trips into town and general larking about and I also have a Neobike folder which was a present from my brother. I don't use it often but the times I do I wonder how I managed without a folder.

The Maximus was bought for my business and I really miss it now it's sold. I've never had anything built to order before and it felt really special. Maybe one day I can buy it back?:thumbsup:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I haven't had so many that I can't remember. The order is approximate.

1. Some sort of red trike, steel, solid tyres.
2. Some sort of small bicycle, solid balloon type tyres. Rusty. Learned to ride on that one.
3. Some sort of Raleigh singlespeed with cantilever frame, possibly called a Raleigh Roller.
4. A five-speed "racer", Tensor cycles, out of the back of the daily mirror
5. A Raleigh Grifter, found dumped in a country lane.
6. A nameless steel bike with motorbike front forks jammed into the headset (fell apart shortly after)
7. A nameless steel bike painted all over green with zebra stripes, paint job done with a paintbrush (destroyed by skinheads)
8. A Peugeot "Robert Millar" out of Marshall Ward catalogue. Also first commute bike (traded in at Bob Addy's)
9. Muddy Fox Courier Comp. Whoa! 11 years of commuting on that.
10. Marin Bolinas Ridge (given away after fairly long period of use)
11. Brompton L3 (sold on YACF, subsequently ridden to podium place in Brompton worlds)
12. Airnimal Joey (sold on eBay)
13. Specialized Allez (still owned)
14. White Hack- singlespeed, based around old SJS cycles training frame. (parts removed, frame recycled)
15. Blue Hack- singlespeed, then geared in later version, based around a different SJS cycles training frame (frame given to someone on CC along with some bits)
16. Quintana Roo PR Compact carbon TT bike (still owned)
17. Paul Milnes 'cross bike. Frame bought from Bonk_Man on CC (still owned).
18. Specialized Singlecross, fixed (still owned)

Jeez, not so many. Must get down to the LBS.

Top Bottom