How Many Bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Hi there

I have 4 Bianchi bikes, a BMC and a Giant TCR. Giant have got a good deal on their TCR disc version and I'm thinking of buying one and selling my BMC. Is that bad to have/want so many bikes?!

J
Nothing wrong with it! But do those bikes have different purposes? For example is one bike more likely to be used in rain, or is there a mud bike or backup race bike etc?

sleuthey

Legendary Member
6+1-1=6 so you would be no more bad than you are now.

Gunk

Guru
Nothing wrong with it! But do those bikes have different purposes? For example is one bike more likely to be used in rain, or is there a mud bike or backup race bike etc?

I agree, I don’t have any duplicates, each bike is very different and has a specific purpose

davidphilips

Veteran
12 at present, all road bikes and tbh some are almost twins and always spending (wasting to some) money upgrading, but its my sport, hobby and keeps me fit, better than spending on bikes than drinking, gambling or smoking.

Cycling can be a very cheap or expensive you can be a cyclist and cycle 5 miles a week or 500, buy one bike and have it a lifetime or own hundreds over your life time, takes very little time to learn to cycle but a life time to master.

5 here, but one's too big and one's too small.

So only three actually get ridden, and they're all different. I have a Wiggins Rouen roadie (my summer bike), a Wiggins Chartres 26 hybrid (my do-it-all utility & touring bike) and a Raleigh Max MTB (my winter & mucky weather bike).

The one that's too big is currently in bits, but that will be rebuilt with the salvageable bits that came off the Raleigh, and then moved on. Some undertall Cambridge student is bound to want a mechanically sound but visually tatty commuter.

Sharky

Guru
Everybody is quick to come out with the jokes about needing an N+1 etc, but in reality, you only need to consider another bike if the handlebar tape on your current bike is a bit grubby.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I do buy them but my children seem good at "borrowing" them ! Current Pinarello project is already being eyed up by No2 daughter..... that's the issue when you're children can ride the same size bike you can:laugh:

It'll get worse: you end up with their cast-offs.

Mind you my 16yo's 'cast-off' bike that I'm getting in June is a Dura-Ace equipped Cervelo S3 :becool:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Blimey, that is a lot. How many of them are steel?

Quite a few, I have some Aluminium and a Carbon Road and MTB but Steel is a real pleasure to ride.

Paul Hewitt Chiltern - Reynolds 631.
Genesis Day One - Reynolds 525.
Orbit Thompson - Reynolds 531.
Fondriest - Columbus Gara.
Ciclismo Leeds - Reynolds 531 Millenium.
Enik Pordoi - Tange.
Marin Muirwoods hardtail MTB.
Trek 830 Mountain Track Rigid MTB.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Paul Hewitt Chiltern - Reynolds 631.
Genesis Day One - Reynolds 525.
Orbit Thompson - Reynolds 531.
Fondriest - Columbus Gara.
Ciclismo Leeds - Reynolds 531 Millenium.
Enic Pordoi - Tange.
Marin Muirwoods hardtail MTB.
Trek 830 no sus MTB.

Very nice indeed, and some quality framesets there. Your Trek 830 frame is probably also cro-moly. I have two donor Trek 850 Mountain Track frames - cro-moly from Taiwan but well made. Too small size otherwise I would ride rather than have stripped them.
Quite a bit of variety of genres in your fleet too. Tourer, drop bar sports, MTB, and single speed. I found previous pics of the Genesis particularly appealing. That was a good buy.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Very nice indeed, and some quality framesets there. Your Trek 830 frame is probably also cro-moly. I have two donor Trek 850 Mountain Track frames - cro-moly from Taiwan but well made. Too small size otherwise I would ride rather than have stripped them.
Quite a bit of variety of genres in your fleet too. Tourer, drop bar sports, MTB, and single speed. I found previous pics of the Genesis particularly appealing. That was a good buy.
Yes my Trek 830 Mountain Track is Taiwanese Cro-moly, very nice indeed and possibly the same frame as your Trek but the 850 was a better specced bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom