How many football grounds have you been to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It always astounds me on threads like this what effort people will go to in order to do the online equivalent of a passive sneer of disapproval at the subject matter. Like most fairly adjusted people, if I see a thread about which I have no interest (say, cats, or reality TV, or electric bikes), I'll just eschew that thread altogether and I'll click on other threads and even consider commenting, only where the subject matter piques my interest.

Other people though....
"Hmm, a thread about football eh? I've no interest in that sport whatsoever, but BOY I can't wait to click "reply" and tell everyone just how much it doesn't interest me!" Cue at least three lines of text, explaining in detail the extent it doesn't interest them.

It's really perverse behaviour. For other examples, see any car or TV related threads, and the associated "Pah, I don't even own a car / TV" replies.

I don't have a football.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
You must surely have been to Burnden Park as well, or at the very least The Reebok?

You know, i've never been to either. One of a few i can honestly say i haven't been to. Im not avoiding Bolton for any particular reason mind :whistle:. Just hasn't worked out for me. Maybe i'll go next season when Bolton join us in League Two :biggrin:

stephec

Legendary Member
Was in Burnden that had a supermarket encroaching over a lot of the open away end, so you had trouble seeing all the pitch Or was that Hull.....or both?:wacko:
The Normid supermarket on the corner of the away end and Manchester Road stand.

Apparently it saved the club from going bust by a couple of weeks.

MarkF

Guru
I like a lot of the cladding/upgrading of old grounds in Spain but it's incredible what Valencia did with just new seats, from drab grey ones to this. The exterior is astonishing too and from what I could tell, achieved by just vinyl/canvas type sheets

maxresdefault.jpg

KYywau1.jpg

MarkF

Guru
The Normid supermarket on the corner of the away end and Manchester Road stand.

Apparently it saved the club from going bust by a couple of weeks.
It's all coming back to me now, I think I visited in 1985 and was amazed to find that I couldn't see plenty of the pitch, why was it built so close to the touchline?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I used to go to Boothferry Park in Hull on a regular basis. It was the only football ground in the country that had its own football stadium. I lost interest in football years ago but have still managed to visit several decent grounds with friends. I turned up at the New Wembley Stadium just in passing after visiting the Ace Cafe. A security guard offered to show me round and so I got a free tour. Its impressive. But I still prefer golf clubs.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It always astounds me on threads like this what effort people will go to in order to do the online equivalent of a passive sneer of disapproval at the subject matter. Like most fairly adjusted people, if I see a thread about which I have no interest (say, cats, or reality TV, or electric bikes), I'll just eschew that thread altogether and I'll click on other threads and even consider commenting, only where the subject matter piques my interest.

Other people though....
"Hmm, a thread about football eh? I've no interest in that sport whatsoever, but BOY I can't wait to click "reply" and tell everyone just how much it doesn't interest me!" Cue at least three lines of text, explaining in detail the extent it doesn't interest them.

It's really perverse behaviour. For other examples, see any car or TV related threads, and the associated "Pah, I don't even own a car / TV" replies.
Spot on.

I have zero interest in either cricket or rugby, but I fully understand that both appeal to others and take tremendous skill and fitness to do properly. So when a thread pops up about either of those sports I simply don't open them, I wouldn't dream of going on just to tell people how superior to them I am because I don't follow those sports.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Watford (Vicarage Road)
Everton (Goodison Park)
West Brom (Hawthorns)
Northampton Town (County Ground) - this was brilliant, they were playing on half of a cricket pitch!

I think that is it.

Manchester United
Manchester City (Maine Road and the new place)
Newcastle United
York City
Leeds United
Chelsea
Oxford United (Manor Ground, first game my son went to, don't know if he saw it or not as he was still a babe in arms. Oxford beat Barnsley in the latter's last match in Div 2 before they got promoted to the big boys. Believe me, it was not like watching Brazil.)
Shrewsbury (Gay Meadow)
Chelsea
Tottingham (old White Hart Lane, although I'd love to go to the new place)
Anfield
Wembley (the previous version)
Exeter City
Barnet (Underhill, against Blackpool)
Blackpool (against I can't remember)
Bury (but to watch FC United of Manchester)
Aston Villa
Nottingham Forest
Oldham Athletic
Walsall
Notts County
Derby County
Stockport County ...
and ... Newport County
Cardiff City
And a raft of non-league clubs from Bala to Stalybridge Celtic
San Siro (to my shame I can't remember who the home team was, but they won 1-0 against Verona with a 90th minute penalty and it was the only game I ever saw with my mum and the last game I saw with my dad)
Juventus
Sampdoria
Genua
Chieti
PSG
Ajax
Feyenoord
Excelsior
Sparta
MVV Maastricht
Heerenveen
ADO Den Haag
Erzurum (we started chanting along with the home fans who were giving the opposition goalkeeper some stick when someone tapped me on my shoulder and said my girlfriend -- the only female in the ground -- shouldn't be chanting because it wasn't right for a woman to be calling a man a "homo") 1-0 to the home team again, yet another 90th minute penalty.
Quite a few Dutch non-league teams
and the best of all:
FC Utrecht

Edit:
Late addition: Sunderland, the old Roker Park

Sorry even later additions:
Viktoria Plzen (on the other side of the river to the Plzen brewery, that was a day well spent!)
Zenit St Petersburg

Oh, and a tour of Barcelona's stadium. That doesn't really count, does it? The most interesting thing in the museum was Indurain's yellow jersey! YMMV
1587217269276.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom