How many hours a week on average?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5043709, member: 43827"]If walking cannot be counted as exercise then neither can just pootling along on the bike.

Done at the right level of exertion they are both exercise.

I average about six hours cycling a week, probably about four of which are exercise, the rest just smelling the roses.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.

[QUOTE 5043709, member: 43827"]If walking cannot be counted as exercise then neither can just pootling along on the bike.

Done at the right level of exertion they are both exercise.

I average about six hours cycling a week, probably about four of which are exercise, the rest just smelling the roses.[/QUOTE]
Rubbish

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I do not call walking or working etc as exercise. I believe in quality over quantity.
When I was recovering from illness and still off my bike, I used regular walking up a big local hill to get my fitness back. Eventually, I was walking up and back down in about 45 minutes - 3.7 miles and about 600 ft of ascent, including some at >20%. It most certainly was exercise - I'd get home absolutely dripping sweat!

Power-walk.gif

screenman

Legendary Member
I think maybe there is walking as in walking around the house, supermarket etc. And there is walking that gets the heart pumping, I do not do enough of that to count it into my exercise hours.

Back when we used to have a local, affordable, council-run leisure centre with swimming pool and gym and I had more available time I used to do 5 or 6 aquafit classes and 1 deep-water aquafit class (@45mins each), 2 tai chi classes (@1 hour each I think), swim typically 4-5 miles a week (3-4 hours a week) and go to the gym 5 or 6 times a week (between half an hour for a quick session before a class and 2 hours before closing time on a Sunday evening when I had the place to myself) so that was probably anywhere between 15 and 20 hours of on-purpose exercise a week. Plus typically an hour or two of stomping around with a pushchair most days. I was quite fit back then.

I was still fat, mind. And spent a blinking fortune on cossies 'cos you can't actually buy proper sports swimming costumes in lardy biffer sizes so I had to make do with overpriced 'plus size' ones from Evans or the far distant ends of the ranges in one department store, which meant that even buying the most practically designed ones available they were more from the 'fashion' end of the market.

si_c

Guru
8 hours a week minimum commuting which is reasonably high intensity. Can be as high as 20 hours if I do a century ride too, but that's in summer.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
12-15 hours cycling, usually around 150 miles and 8-10000 feet.

I then walk, it is exercise, 5 miles one week and 15 the next, 1x5 and 1x10 miles. Which 2.5 hours and 7.5 hours.

Top Bottom