How many hours per day do you actualy work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Let's add it all up, by the time you get in to work, make tea/coffee, settle down at your desk, then mid morning break then lunch, then afternoon break, then oh sorry boss can I leave early I need to go to the bank.....etc,etc I am not saying this applies to everyone but we do all know people like this don't we! Oh and the ones who smoke as well, how many hours less a week do they work? Especially if it's a long walk to the smoking area!
Also, how is it resolved if one person in the work place is doing this continuously then what course of action do you take?
Do you; a. stoop to there level
b. moan at every opportunity
c..?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Several.

tyred

Legendary Member
I must admit I've been spending a lot of time on here lately but it has been unusually quiet at work this past month. I still get on with anything I have to do. If the work's there, I'll do it without question. In the 4 1/2 years I've worked here, I've only had one day of sick and have never been late so I think I'm better than many of my colleagues who seem to take a sickie every week.

OP
OP
D

DJ

tyred said:
I must admit I've been spending a lot of time on here lately but it has been unusually quiet at work this past month. I still get on with anything I have to do. If the work's there, I'll do it without question. In the 4 1/2 years I've worked here, I've only had one day of sick and have never been late so I think I'm better than many of my colleagues who seem to take a sickie every week.

Another good point, I had forgotten to include all the sick leave the great British worker seems to find acceptable!!!!

Our economy would be much stronger if so much revenue was'nt wasted on sick leave!!!

thomas

the tank engine
djtheglove said:
Another good point, I had forgotten to include all the sick leave the great British worker seems to find acceptable!!!!

Our economy would be much stronger if so much revenue was'nt wasted on sick leave!!!

On average the UK worker works 37.5 hours a week (well, in 2004) and 22% of people work a 45 hour week. That's mainly men aged 33-49, with children and in the private sector work the longest hours. Apparently, 4.75 million employees worked on average 7.5 hours per week in unpaid overtime. Also on average, UK workers get less paid leave (around 20 days) compared to our EU counterparts.

45% of people would like to work shorter hours and around half a million people requested a change in hours, which was not given.

It therefore doesn't really surprise me that so much money is wasted in sick leave.

Now, you might be wondering why I know all those above figures? I've got an exam tomorrow and for one of the question that is likely to come up, that will be good background information. :tongue:

As for how many I work, when doing an 8 hour day, probably about 45 minutes lunch and then plenty of short breaks to split the day up, be that teas and coffees...or on other websites.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I probably work 4-6 hours a day. I spend the rest on the web and doing personal stuff, nipping to the shops etc.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
More than 1 (I think) and less than 6 hours of ACTUAL work a day depending on mood, motivation and pressure etc.

Anyone that says they are actually 'working' 100% of the time excluding official breaks are fibbing! I actually got a 'lost time' function built into our companies timesheet/invoicing system that allows for up to 1.5 hours of non accountable non productive time lost each day. By acknowledging this and giving staff this flexibility it actually helped us improve our invoicing and become more profitable.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't log on here during work time... I would say that I actually work for 95% of the time I'm paid to work, then I also do work at home and I don't get paid for that. Luckily I enjoy it and its only part time probably helps.

thomas

the tank engine
Wigsie said:
Anyone that says they are actually 'working' 100% of the time excluding official breaks are fibbing! I actually got a 'lost time' function built into our companies timesheet/invoicing system that allows for up to 1.5 hours of non accountable non productive time lost each day. By acknowledging this and giving staff this flexibility it actually helped us improve our invoicing and become more profitable.

The thing I find is, by taking the odd break and thing, I can focus better when I am working, which keeps me more motivated and helps me do a better job.

Sometimes though I can get a bit carried away, and could probably easily waste an afternoon if there isn't much to do :tongue:

OP
OP
D

DJ

Wigsie said:
More than 1 (I think) and less than 6 hours of ACTUAL work a day depending on mood, motivation and pressure etc.

Are you talking "down time" here that is different that is unavoidable wasted time which is needed to be covered in costs som how! My point is that, apart from a few trades or places of work, some of us don't work as hard as we think we do, even to the point of if we worked harder throughout the day then we would not have to do so much over time and less over time = less sick leave!

OP
OP
D

DJ

thomas said:
The thing I find is, by taking the odd break and thing, I can focus better when I am working, which keeps me more motivated and helps me do a better job.

Sometimes though I can get a bit carried away, and could probably easily waste an afternoon if there isn't much to do :tongue:

True the odd break must be beneficial.

Top Bottom