How many hours per day do you actualy work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
djtheglove said:
Are you talking "down time" here that is different that is unavoidable wasted time which is needed to be covered in costs som how! My point is that, apart from a few trades or places of work, some of us don't work as hard as we think we do, even to the point of if we worked harder throughout the day then we would not have to do so much over time and less over time = less sick leave!

Well wages are a set operating cost, we know what we need to cover to break even on a monthly basis and we invoice customers for studio time allotted to their project. I would agree, people that actually work as hard as they think they do are in a massive minority the lost time function is designed for office chatting, smoking, making tea, staring out the window and general mincing around. Acknowledging this happens (although we dont encourage it) and not trying to clamp down on it or penalise people for it has had a positive affect on work processes outside of this period.

Apologies is spelling is a bit off just had a 'few' pints in an extended lunch break (a bit of lost time there... ha ha). :biggrin:

allen-uk

10 or 12 hours a day. But I stopped all that about ten years back, so now, fewer.

Slacking (as alluded to in previous posts) never appealed to me, even for much of my life when I worked for other people; it made the time pass too slowly, and was bad for the spirit.

A.

OP
OP
D

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Wigsie said:
Well wages are a set operating cost, we know what we need to cover to break even on a monthly basis and we invoice customers for studio time allotted to their project. I would agree, people that actually work as hard as they think they do are in a massive minority the lost time function is designed for office chatting, smoking, making tea, staring out the window and general mincing around. Acknowledging this happens (although we dont encourage it) and not trying to clamp down on it or penalise people for it has had a positive affect on work processes outside of this period.

Apologies is spelling is a bit off just had a 'few' pints in an extended lunch break (a bit of lost time there... ha ha). :biggrin:

How incredibly Liberal! :biggrin: I like it though;)

OP
OP
D

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
allen-uk said:
10 or 12 hours a day. But I stopped all that about ten years back, so now, fewer.

Slacking (as alluded to in previous posts) never appealed to me, even for much of my life when I worked for other people; it made the time pass too slowly, and was bad for the spirit.

A.

Agree it is incredibly bad for ones moral! So why do people do it?

Wigsie

Nincompoop
djtheglove said:
How incredibly Liberal! :biggrin: I like it though;)

Not thought of it like that, I guess it is! :biggrin:

Dont really care either way, it works and thats the main thing, we have an incredibly loyal team and everyone mucks in when we need to (we also know there is a little bit of effort in reserve just incase).

I have worked in companies that are the polar opposite and every hour needs to be accounted for... blood pressures ran high (not mine), back stabbing was common place, staff turnover was shocking and moral was always in need of a pick up. Where they did turnover more, they didnt actually make that much more Profit than we do with a head count of around half theirs.

I may apply for the apprentice next year! ha ha

levad

Veteran
When asked how many people work where I work, I usually replay "about half of them ..." :biggrin:

Get paid for 7.5 hours a day

Work probably 6.5 - 7.0 hours a day.

Gromit

Über Member
Don't know yet because from what I can gather most of my new job is spent driving from site to site. I then have to do about 2 hours at each place, site survey, sweeping and litter picking.

With driving and doing work it would add up to more than 8 hours. Hourse worked are from 8.30 till 4.30, with half an hour for lunch. Its only my first week so hopefully I will settle into it more.

Top Bottom