How many jackets have you got ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not in total, but the different ones you wear for different conditions ?
It's ridiculous, there is some overlap of use but i was in my cupboard looking at the bloody things...

Altura Cropton...very lightweight, not waterproof.
Lusso HT50........moderately heavier but still lightweight, showerproof.
Altura Nevis.......heavier still, waterproof, my preferred winter jacket. Works for me however low the temps go and its a brilliant commuter jacket.
Altura Windstopper..dont see it as waterproof, but lovely light lining inside, ideal for dry cold winter rides if you want to look a bit better than riding with the Nevis
Altura gilet, can't remember which one

Thats 5, they're just the ones in use, ive got some older ones i don't use anymore :tongue:

Ridiculous, but the wrong one in the wrong weather just makes a ride too cold or too hot.

potsy

Rambler
Endure gilet in blue, my most worn one, wear it whenever it is dry but not warm.
Montane gilet-yellow, rarely wear it now but is better for visibility on the early/late commutes.
Endura laser? jacket- yellow, boil in the bag waterproof, rarely used.
Montane featherlight jacket- yellow, less sweaty but not really waterproof at all.

Berghaus Gore-tex paclite, not cycling specific but will do the job over winter, light, breathable (to a point) and very waterproof.

oh, and an Endura windproof jacket in red that has always been a bit on the 'snug' side, maybe one day it'll fit. :biggrin:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
some alutra boil in the bag waterproof jacket
mavic helium which i wear pretty much throughout the year (bar summer and rain)

Glover Fan

Btwin £10 jobby boil in the bag, but folds nicely, totally waterproof and good for those "oh shoot look at that big black cloud in the distance" moments.Altura Crosslite, totally waterproof but breathable as well, got it for £43 down from £90.

monnet

Guru
Loads, bloody loads!

Giordana bodyclone winter jacket
Sportful Anaconda winter jacket
Giordana silverline Super ROubaix
Two super roubaix club jackets
Pearl Izumi race cape
Pearl Izumi gilet
Club winter gilet
Altura night vision
Some tatty Altura thing

And more if I went to the cupboard to check, I'm sure. They all get a bit of use.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My 2 best rain jackets for cycling were about a tenner each from Lidl a few years back. They are really good quality... one is a 'micro' which rolls up to about the size of an apple. I keep it attached to my road bike. I have 2 other rain jackets (one bright yellow for commutes) and another one which has holes in, after an 'off' a few years back.

Saundie

Über Member
Altura Cropton...very lightweight, not waterproof.
I have one of these, got it with a magazine subscription. I find it adequate for the majority of the Spring/Autumn. I don't bother with it in the summer, and in the winter I either supplement it arm warmers, or replace it with a dhb Southsea. The Southsea is really heavy and doesn't breathe at all well, so I only wear it when it's zero or below. Looks good, though. I also have a Montane Velocity DT 2.0 which is very waterproof and much lighter than the Southsea. It folds up small enough to fit in the side pocket of my bag, so I have it with me even when I'm not on the bike - the cut is adequate for off the bike use, too. I think my little collection copes with most weather situations quite nicely :smile:

1. Endura Gridlock. Used for commuting in all weathers and weekend rides when it's colder :thumbsup:
  2. Altura lightweight thingy. Essential for covering my lycra clad torso, even when it's sunny :whistle:
  3. Tenns Gilet. Same as number 2 but for when it's too warm to have my arms covered :tongue:

ohnovino

Large Member
1. It's a Reebok jacket I found on a clearance rail in SportsDirect for about a tenner. It wasn't advertised as a cycling jacket, but it's perfect. Lightweight, waterproof and breathable, with a detachable fleece that I'll put back in when the temperature hits single figures.

Best bit of cycling gear I've ever bought.

soulful dog

Veteran
I've just given away two jackets so now only have one cycling specific jacket, and one that I use for walking & cycling.

1. Decathlon waterproof jacket bought for £15 off a sale rack. Fairly waterproof (not completely though in heavy rain) but a bit boil in the bag. It has removable sleeves so can be worn as a gilet, which is why I like it.

2. Haglofs lightweight jacket. Shower proof at best, mainly use it as a bit of protection from the wind.

No longer have a winter jacket, am hoping we're due a mild winter and I'll try and get by with the Decathlon jacket and lots of layers.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Two.

A Castelli one, dark with reflective piping, worn whenever it is sufficiently cold or wet or windy.

An Endura one, in yellow. Stays in my locker at work, is never worn because I don't like the colour. Might wear it if I forget to put the first one in my bag and there is an unexpected turn in the weather during the day. This has never happened.

I don't have a winter jacket, I use a lightweight one (the Castelli) and adjust the layers underneath. That's not like the one true way or anything, there are some great winter jackets out there.

I have a gilet too.

Fiona N

Veteran
I'm a dreadful hoarder of gear.

This year for Audaxes I've used a homemade lightweight pertex gilet and a Showers Pass lightweight, unlined waterproof.

Besides these I have:
Gore goretex jacket (cut away at the front too much to wear with a normal jersey, so for days wet from the get-go),
Gore Xenon windstopper jacket (good when it's going to be cold and damp all day),
Pearl Izumi lightweight jacket with zip-off sleeves (good for mixed dry conditions but not at all water-resistant)
Foska skeleton and Marmite jackets (cold dry conditions)
Homemade winter jacket with windstopper front and fleece back and sleeves
More gilets than you can shake a stick at, going back nearly 20 years to my favourite Cannondale one

Ooops - just forgot the new Gore Oxygen softshell jacket :blush: and the Santini windstopper jacket and a illuminite jacket with reflective sleeves - but that's mostly used on the Windcheetah where the usual reflective bits aren't much use :smile:

Top Bottom