How many lapsed mountain bikers on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I got back in to cycling on an mtb, used to go to Dalby or Sherwood Pines, or take the bridleways/roads that make up part of the Wakefield Wheel, but having watched the T de F in 2012 & not really understanding what was going on i got the urge to get a road bike (memories of my old Peugeot racer) so I got a Carerra Zelos to see if I liked riding on the road, well I did & the Specialized mtb got sidelined, then I got the Giant Defy & did more on the road, however on Monday I just had the itch to go for an mtb ride, not far, just a short one, well I got a bit carried away & 18 miles later realised I had had a blast, so I am going to mix it up a bit now & do a bit of both, plus my daughter has said she'd join me on her mtb when she finishes uni in the next few weeks, so it'll be nice to have the company.
I do think that riding the roadie has made me stronger too, I couldn't believe how easy the gearing seemed though!

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Yep, I was an off-road kid, very early 90's to I guess about 2005. It was a camping trip to Wales in 2010 and a visit to Coed-y-Brenin that reignited that love of cycling. Went out on the MTB a few times when I got back but then decided to give the road a whirl so bought a road bike. Since then I can count on a couple of fingers how many times I've ridden trails...

Started out on road bikes then got into mtb's in the mid 80's, raced all over the UK for 12 yrs and loved every minute of it. Back on the road now but still do the occasional off road ride on the CX bike.

Oldbloke

Guru
I was a keen mtber until mid 00s, changed to road bikes 2006.

Got sick of riding on mud/crap covered roads through winter, living in farming area, so decided to give MTB another try 6 months ago and bought a KTM 27er.

Really enjoy blasting round forest trails etc now, was going to try a non-racing tour series until I realised most riders were half my age!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Never allowed a bike as a kid. Lived on a 25% cobbled hill and parents felt it might be dangerous (sledging was fun in winter though!!). Got an Apollo MTB (biggest frame I could get was Apollo) in 1988 upgraded all the kit (or at least the LBS did) till it was worth about £800. Used to do a lot of single track stuff up north. Brought the MTB to London and some scrote nicked it. I saw it a few months later on Oxford St (it was a very distinctive bike) but didn't bother hanging around cos I felt it had most likely been sold (probably for about £20 by someone who didn't understand what they had). I replaced it with a Raleigh and then the Giant ATX that I still have but have never done any proper MTBing on either of them. Both used for commuting for many years.

The Apollo was the only bike I was attached to until I got Lelly in 2012

Jimidh

Veteran
I probably split my bike time 70/30 road to MTB. I much prefer road cycling but I take my son to Glentress once per week for a play. Plus last winter I used my MTB for getting out on wild mucky days for some hill climbing reactive which has benefited me now.

I done my first MTB event a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Managed to pass loads of riders on the uphill sections only to be passed on the downhill sections by proper bikers!!

Great fun though!

Top Bottom