How many lapsed mountain bikers on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm lapsed but planning my comeback. Since moving to Scotland I've lost my appetite for riding on anything other than tar, for obvious reasons.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I been into mountain biking since 1987. I took to road biking merely to get fitness for the MTB racing. Slowly the road has taken over.

I think most of the reason is because I haven't moved With he times. My mountain bikes have no suspension, cantilever brakes and a long stretched riding position.

It all hurts a lot more than it used to.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I got back into cycling as an adult in the early 2000's by mountain biking, but swapped to road exclusively around 2005.
Despite living in a mountain biking Mecca I really prefer road riding. Last year I bought a mountain bike to rekindle the interest but I've done 30 miles on it!
I too dislike the idea of driving somewhere to ride a bike and while I'm probably a heck of a lot closer than most (and so could ride) to decent trails, mountain bikes are truly horrible on the road.:tongue:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
About 15 years on MTB's until 2003 until climbing accident stopped me being able to ride.

Restarted 2012 - tested a few MTB's and they no longer did it for me. Still wanted to do light off-road so CX bike purchased.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've dabbled a few times and had good fun but never gone as far as buying my own MTB. As someone else said, it's all very well driving somewhere to have a day out in the hills but since I don't have a car, I'd have to cycle there and I'd much rather be on the roadbike/tourer for that, so I might as well stick to the tarmac and use the (pathetically few) skills I've learned to help me cope with the worst of Somerset's worst rural roads (SCC likes surface dressing. Lots. All over the place. Or just ignoring roads to the point that they become dirt tracks except you don't know that until you turn the corner.)

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've gone full circle. Many, many years ago I was mtb mad, matured into road bikes. I'm now back off road as much as possible. I even sold my roadie and bought another cx bike. Even my road rides now include a bit of dirt somewhere.

Theres too many off road tracks where I live to miss out on them and the roads here are full of self-gratification artists.

Once upon a time I considered myself a 'mountainbiker' rather than a 'cyclist'. I've had more than 50 mountain bikes since my first C1983 but haven't properly ridden off road for a decade and I sold my cherished Vertex two or three years ago. I guess I'm just a cyclist again.

Drago

Legendary Member
Still got mine, still use them. Because of road closures this week I'll be commuting to work off road on the Trance,which should be a tasty bit of fun.

... age

I am now far too mature and sensible to throw myself down muddy hills and the like on two wheels

I now throw myself down tarmacked hills on a recumbent trike instead!

Cannock chase not bumpy enough for you?

There is a small town in Cambridgeshire called "Pidley"

2158bbe5f420d709cf0a132e46136a1814090e29.jpg

The Mountain Rescue Team is open about their local terrain

Founded 36 years ago, you might be surprised to discover that PMR does not actually participate in mountain rescue of any kind. It has never even rescued anyone from a hillock, nor a small mound. It does, however, raise money for disabled people in the community. Its aim is to provide equipment desperately needed by local people, which they would otherwise be unable to obtain out of public funds

.... and as a side the real name is Pidley-cum-Fenton

A cause for may immature schoolboy sniggers

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
One thing I do miss about my MTB days is the Rapidfire shifters - not too keen on STI's tbh. After nearly three years of using them I still occasionally mis-shift on the rear when heading up the cluster as I accidently hit the little lever at the same time as the big part way through the stroke.

Maybe I'm just clumsy.

Top Bottom