How many messages do you send?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Messaging has exploded in recent years, first with email and texts, then with the many and various services from the likes of facebook, twitter, whatsapp and several others.

How many messages do you send on an average day?

I ask because it appears some people send an extraordinary number.

Evidence of this comes up in court cases when the traffic is examined prior to the offence.

An example in today's news is a randy rector trying to take advantage of newly single parishoner who sent at least hundreds of texts over a seven month period, although the church only examined 'about 1,000' between the pair.

I've seen murder and other serious cases in which the defendant has sent anything up to a hundred messages a day over a two or three month period.

I post a fair bit on here, but couldn't get anywhere near five or six posts every waking hour.

My only other messaging is email and text, which for personal purposes is barely a handful a month.

What's your messaging frequency?

Last edited by a moderator:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
2 or 3 a week. I send a message to my youngest grandsons at Uni just to make sure they are still alive :laugh:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
About 20 WhatsApp messages in an average week working from home, that doubles if I'm travelling. Maybe 3 to 4 personal emails, and I'm guessing work emails and WhatsApp etc isn't factoring into your question.
On websites, fora etc, maybe up to 10 posts per week. I'm not glued to messaging in any of its forms, although I know for some it's a big part of life.

Alex321

Veteran
It does depend on what you define as "messaging".

If forum posts count, then quite a few - dozens a day.

And do work teams/slack posts count? Again, a few dozen of those a day.

But so far as personal texts, emails, facebook, twitter etc. Go, then certainly only single figures per day between them.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Personal texts and emails, it's a busy day and generally for some specific reason if it's more than two.
If I'm away from home, Mrs B does text bomb me when she knows I am not working.:smooch:

si_c

Guru
I might text Mrs C once or twice a day, but it's rare that I have anything that important to text her that can't wait until she gets home. Sometimes text the group of friends I'm part of on Telegram, but that's usually once or twice a week.

By far prefer to make a phone call.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It does depend on what you define as "messaging".

It does.

I suppose a better description would be 'private messaging' if we want to compare directly with the huge numbers I see in court cases.

Maybe having an affair or planning to murder someone increases the traffic.

Having never done either, I couldn't say.

Another common factor is those sending hundreds of messages are often in regular personal contact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Email work - 20 per day, most responding with short answers
Email non-work - 3 to 5 per day. per day
Whats/signal/imessage - 10 per day - very short usually meeting time for drinks, meals,
Weekend WhatsApp - up to 40 incoming messaging in chatgroup of old buddies, mostly on links to development on health, politics, current affairs.

The entire year, not a single mail outside of govt agencies as converted to estatements etc. Was told to expect a wedding invitation by the bride but it never turned up. SO she sent e-invitation.

Not a single phone call except for scam and sales calls.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I am addicted it appears to forum posts and have got a pretend trophy. Sad
Emails I use for family communication mostly but averaging probably about one or two a week unless something is happening which needs more use.
Text messages to coal merchant but that has now stopped. About one per month.
I now email birthday and christmas greetings adorned with one of my own photos.

Top Bottom