How many messages do you send?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My most "active" form of messaging is a WhatsApp group, where myself and five other OAPs arrange our educational walking tours (ie pub crawls). I am not a great contributor, I usually respond with a "just tell me date, time and venue", the other five then discuss the options for hours, and, message me with the outcome.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The fact that ive reached 2176 (at the time of typing) messages in 2 years on this site proves that there are people willing to read the dross i type. Sadly, outside the forum the jig is up. People caught on to my nonsense speak some time ago... It does have the benefit of making my phone bill remarkably cheap!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Despite having a rather large phone, typing on it is like flailing at the glass with two badly-aimed sausages.
Which is why I'm typing this on a laptop with proper mechanical keyboard; which gives me a fighting chance of reasonably accuracy and speed (otherwise I'd take 15 minutes to arrive at Typo City).

Sure I'll send an occasional SMS or Whatsapp, especially for work, but I prefer doing proper emails from the laptop, or I'll use MS Teams. And here's something that works well; actually speaking to people.

It does.

I suppose a better description would be 'private messaging' if we want to compare directly with the huge numbers I see in court cases.

Not enough. We need to dig deeper than that. We need to define exactly what constitutes a "message"

For example, let's analyze this whatsapp conversation:

Husband (H): "yo, what's up?"
Wife (W): "nothing, just working"
W: "being bored"
W: "don't have much work on at the moment"
H: "OK, wanna come downstairs for a coffee?"
W: "Yes"
H: "OK, I'll put a pot up"
H: "Will shout when it's ready"

Are we counting this conversation as 8 messages?

Because that's how we, young people, message.

My parents' messages, instead, are basically digital letters, with separate paragraphs, various points/topics covered, and a series of questions...all in 1 message. That's how old people message.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
One last week, and one two or three weeks before that...

I don't sent messages or WhatsApp but my son sends group photos of our new grand-daughter ever once in a while.

Its not that I don't see people, I just prefer to speak to them, rather than send endless reams of text, but having said that I don't phone people either... can't remember when I last did. Our son and daughter ring Mrs A_T at least once a week so I get all the latest news then.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Quite a lot but nothing in comparison to the 87, on average, emails, texts, WhatsApp’s that a friend of mine gets sent by her ex.

I send a few texts, few whatsapps, lots of work type emails but not sure if work emails count.

gbb

Legendary Member
Maybe 2 texts a day on average to my wife or family, occasional ones to colleagues, occasional Whqtsapps to my manager, usefull if you need o include a photo of something

carpiste

Guru
I probably send one or two whatsapp messages a week, unless I`m in France and left MrsC in the UK. I never, ever make phone calls unless its for an appointment or to let my mum know me or MrsC are calling round.
I do send the odd message on cigarboxnation forum but, recently, this has been the only place I can be bothered posting and it`s been fun.

Yes really!
;)

Top Bottom