How many messages do you send?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Apart from the routine tosh on here, I don't send many personal messages. In the last eight weeks my score is...

Texts: 0
Emails: 7

I absolutely detest typing on a phone.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Idk. But I know I receive a bucket load of emails and o do not read most of them. I also do not bother sorting out my emails anymore. I have most app notifications turned off, I have the phone on silent mode most of the day, and quite frequently in airplane mode.

In fact, quite often I just use it like an iPod (an iPhone without the phone bit).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As many as are necessary to keep up with family, friends, cycling buddies, cycling club and general household admin.

Communication is so much simpler these days.

I'm not sure posts on CC count as messages?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Not enough. We need to dig deeper than that. We need to define exactly what constitutes a "message"

For example, let's analyze this whatsapp conversation:

Husband (H): "yo, what's up?"
Wife (W): "nothing, just working"
W: "being bored"
W: "don't have much work on at the moment"
H: "OK, wanna come downstairs for a coffee?"
W: "Yes"
H: "OK, I'll put a pot up"
H: "Will shout when it's ready"

Are we counting this conversation as 8 messages?

Because that's how we, young people, message.

My parents' messages, instead, are basically digital letters, with separate paragraphs, various points/topics covered, and a series of questions...all in 1 message. That's how old people message.

Your messages seem quite verbose. My responses to texts tend to be

”yes”
”ok”
”no”

Mostly as I use a dumb phone when out and about and anything longer is a pain to type out.

I also wouldn’t take your experience as representative of what young or old people do. You’ll find a range across all age groups.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It varies from day to day. Some days i could send 30 text messages, the next (like today) about 3 or 4. Emails are few and far between. Probably about 3 or 4 a week. Forum messages, including Facebook, probably about 30 a day. As for messages as in actual hand penned letters, the last one i wrote by hand, then posted in a post box must've been around 20 years ago. Though if filled in forms for my PIP etc count i send/return around 4 or 5 a year the last being in June this year.

Last edited:

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Maybe having an affair or planning to murder someone increases the traffic.
It certainly does.

Drago

Legendary Member
Anyone seen invasion of the bodysnatchers?

Well, now walk up any moderately busy atreet and look at the zombies. Like Leonard Nimoy, Ive held out, but how long before they're on to me?

Jody

Stubborn git
It's not difficult to rack up message counts given how fast people can type. Yesterday a friend asked me about a bike he was interested in and that ended up being 50 odd messages.

The game changer were services like WhatsApp using the internet to message rather than charging per message or having a limited number of inclusive messages. To me it changed from messaging people to more of a IM chat facility.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Idk. But I know I receive a bucket load of emails and o do not read most of them. I also do not bother sorting out my emails anymore. I have most app notifications turned off, I have the phone on silent mode most of the day, and quite frequently in airplane mode.

In fact, quite often I just use it like an iPod (an iPhone without the phone bit).

Are you, by chance, my Brother-in-law? ;)

Top Bottom