How many miles before changing chain and Cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
IMG_1020.JPG
You mean you chuck them when they get to 0.7, 0.75?
I have never seen a chain checker with a 0.5 marker.

In that case, I think you had better sit down before viewing this piccie.
IMG_1020.JPG

I chuck the chain when it gets to 0.5, and use three such chains before binning the cassette. If I miss the 0.5 mark and let it get to 0.75, I bin both the chain and the cassette anyway. I'm not saying it's a perfect system. It's just what I do.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
View attachment 481981

In that case, I think you had better sit down before viewing this piccie. View attachment 481981
I chuck the chain when it gets to 0.5, and use three such chains before binning the cassette. If I miss the 0.5 mark and let it get to 0.75, I bin both the chain and the cassette anyway. I'm not saying it's a perfect system. It's just what I do.
My Park Tool cc-3 is marked 0.75 and 1.0. When did they change them? Was it when 11 speed was introduced perhaps?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

What's the point in binning the cassette when it isn't worn out? Do you also bin perfectly good tyres that still have plenty of miles wear left in them?
I wonder if riders in poor countries throw all their bike transmission stuff away just because it has developed a miniscule amount of wear compared to brand new? Do they even employ chain checking tools?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It does make you think whether spinning or grinding up long hills makes up for shortened chain life.

When I'm making my way up a tough climb the last thing on my mind is my chain life :laugh: I just get up however I can :okay:

I've had less than 700 miles out a chain :sad: big, heavy rider & a poor maintenance routine through winter, lesson learned now though. My newest bike has Ultegra & made around 4000 miles before the chain was over .5% wear, however when changing it I noticed that a few of the cassette rings were worn, so changed that too. Not sure if the lighter ( & more expensive) components wear quicker :rolleyes:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
What's the point in binning the cassette when it isn't worn out? Do you also bin perfectly good tyres that still have plenty of miles wear left in them?
I wonder if riders in poor countries throw all their bike transmission stuff away just because it has developed a miniscule amount of wear compared to brand new? Do they even employ chain checking tools?
If you would like my discarded chains, you are more than welcome to take them off my greasy hands. Postage, packing and handling extra. I'm afraid.

As I said, I never claimed it was perfect or virtuous.

johnnyb47

Guru
Why are you so argumentative @SkipdiverJohn.
I can fully see where your coming from and respect you. Saving old bikes and using them is a brilliant way of saving money and helping the environment. Using the components until there absolutely shot earns my respect to you.
There are people here though that also like cycling and have different visions to you. They like the latest technological advancements,or keen on keeping there bikes in factory fresh condition.
That's what's makes us all different and helps contributes to an exciting varied world of cycling and a brilliant vibrant forum like Cycle Chat.
Why do you feel the need to constantly "diss" others who have a different ethos and views to yourself.
I'm saying this respectfully and hope i do not cause any offence, but please understand people here respect you and your way of your thinking, and it would nice if you could show the same respect to others of differing views to yours.

View attachment 481981

In that case, I think you had better sit down before viewing this piccie. View attachment 481981
But what do park say about how you should interpret those marks/what action you should take when it hits each one?

Edit - just noticed that that chain tool has a 2 suffix after the 3. The version that measures angel pubic hair perhaps

Last edited:
If you would like my discarded chains, you are more than welcome to take them off my greasy hands. Postage, packing and handling extra. I'm afraid.

As I said, I never claimed it was perfect or virtuous.
What speed chains are we talking?
Where are you?
If can't pick up could maybe offload lots of my stamps on you.
Would keep me and skipdiver going awhile.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
What speed chains are we talking?
Where are you?
If can't pick up could maybe offload lots of my stamps on you.
Would keep me and skipdiver going awhile.
KMC ten speeds. About £12 a pop when new. It wouldn't be an economic proposition to take on my pre-loved chains. My handling charges are stratospheric.

Just checked my bible, the park blue book of bike maintenance. I have two, this is an older edition,. But my many many bikes are no higher than nine speed.
I quote, page 96
"Although chain manufacturers vary, most recommend chain replacement when the chain reaches 1 per cent wear from the nominal 1/2 inch pitch. This wear can be measured with chain measuring tools such as the park cc2 or cc3."
Good enough for me.
And less metal to the scrapheap.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
But what do park say about how you should interpret those marks/what action you should take when it hits each one?
I've no idea at all. All I did was read a load of advice from bike articles and from parishioners hereabouts. Some said one thing and some said another.

I never expected the frigging Spanish Inquisition.....

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I just find it very odd how people have adopted this mentality of arbitrarily discarding things on no rational basis and when the items still have lots of useful life left in them. It seems to be a fairly recent thing too. No-one I rode bikes with as a youngster would change a chain for any other reason that it had snapped or got mangled between a sprocket and frame after coming off. The idea of binning one on the say-so of a 0.5 or 0.75% measuring tool would be laughed at, as would replacing a tyre before it either had the canvas showing or was suffering frequent punctures. I've read previous comments on here about brand new road tyres being binned after only one or two rides, simply because the rider didn't like the "feel" of them!
I'm no tree-hugger, and couldn't care less about global warming, but there is no logic to being wasteful either on financial or sustainability grounds. Despite all the anti-motorist rhetoric and the environmental virtue-signalling displayed by many, cyclists themselves often actually set a pretty poor example of sustainable living; buying carbon bikes that will end up in landfill, flying abroad just so they can ride their non-recyclable carbon bike up a continental mountain pass, fitting toxic batteries into bikes, binning perfectly serviceable parts whose manufacture consumed resources, using CO2 cylinders instead of pumps, then dumping the empties at the roadside, along with the discarded energy gel wrappers.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I just find it very odd how people have adopted this mentality of arbitrarily discarding things on no rational basis and when the items still have lots of useful life left in them. It seems to be a fairly recent thing too. No-one I rode bikes with as a youngster would change a chain for any other reason that it had snapped or got mangled between a sprocket and frame after coming off. The idea of binning one on the say-so of a 0.5 or 0.75% measuring tool would be laughed at, as would replacing a tyre before it either had the canvas showing or was suffering frequent punctures. I've read previous comments on here about brand new road tyres being binned after only one or two rides, simply because the rider didn't like the "feel" of them!
I'm no tree-hugger, and couldn't care less about global warming, but there is no logic to being wasteful either on financial or sustainability grounds. Despite all the anti-motorist rhetoric and the environmental virtue-signalling displayed by many, cyclists themselves often actually set a pretty poor example of sustainable living; buying carbon bikes that will end up in landfill, flying abroad just so they can ride their non-recyclable carbon bike up a continental mountain pass, fitting toxic batteries into bikes, binning perfectly serviceable parts whose manufacture consumed resources, using CO2 cylinders instead of pumps, then dumping the empties at the roadside, along with the discarded energy gel wrappers.
Who here exactly is virtue signalling???
I'm putting you on notice that if you continue your lectures I'll put all my aluminium beer cans in my black landfill bag and sod recycling.

That'll show you...….:evil:

Top Bottom