How many miles before changing chain and Cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^_^
Hows you're OCD? ^_^
Very well developed thankyou, & that's How's Your OCD
As you read, so is my grammar pedantry too:whistle:

:okay:

Seriously, it gives me the opportunity to also check the tightness of the cassette, spokes, tyre for cuts. etc.....

Signum-GB

Regular
Mine are 'silvery'
The cassette gets a fortnightly to monthly (weather dependant) clean
I take the wheel out & use the hem of an old towel to do so, between the sprockets, & the jockey-wheels too

Not todays picture, but from August (average condition, when removed to clean)

View attachment 495862

Ooh!, shiney spares!:okay:

View attachment 495859

Hi, do you use a chain link tool to get chain off before removing the wheel? If so, what would you recommend?

Hi, do you use a chain link tool to get chain off before removing the wheel? If so, what would you recommend?
No, barring the original (Shimano) chain, I've used KMC chains on both '365'/do it all/work-bikes (the superceded '7005 blue' & the CGR), so if I do remove the chain to soak, it's a 'quick-link'
Sometimes they've needed a bit of persuasion, but I've not had one fail to release

Mark pallister

I usually get about 3000 miles out of a chain ,it’s removed ,cleaned then waxed on a regular basis
probably about once every 300 mls depending on the weather
bit of a faff but cost effective in my opinion
normal chain lube retains all the muck of the road which acts as a grinding paste on the chain
lots of people just keep lubing on top of the muck hence premature chain wear

silva

Über Member
My fixed gear's indication point is the rear cog. The edges of the teeth get hollowed out (at one side but I flip so in the end both) and if the length of the middle of the teeth equals the one of the top I replace all 3 components.

Ajax Bay

Guru
My fixed gear's indication point is the rear cog. The edges of the teeth get hollowed out (at one side but I flip so in the end both) and if the length of the middle of the teeth equals the one of the top I replace all 3 components.
Note title of thread.
The fixed/single speed sub-forum is . . . that way >>>>>

Ajax Bay

Guru
Do you wear all cogs of your cassette? I didn't.
All my (and everyone else's) sprockets wear with use. When the chain slips on the most worn ones, it's time for a cassette and chain change. But one cannot tell by looking whether the most worn sprocket is worn to the point of 'slip. Single/fixed: no idea (nor personally needed).

silva

Über Member
All my (and everyone else's) sprockets wear with use. When the chain slips on the most worn ones, it's time for a cassette and chain change. But one cannot tell by looking whether the most worn sprocket is worn to the point of 'slip. Single/fixed: no idea (nor personally needed).
I rode a decade every day work/home/shop/leisure with a 2 x 7 gear. After a drivetrain replacement on the biggest front and smallest rear until it started to skip then I rode the second smallest rear until it skipped then again drivetrain replacement.
At some point, with one bike in the lbs awaiting repair since 6 months, and the other bike skipping the second smallest, I decided enough and went singlespeed>fixed.
So in fact, I never used gears. I pushed harder instead. I remember at a time I decided to buy a new bike, that the new bike had a smaller chainring mounted without dealer asked me or me asked him. After a month I still couldn't get used to that having to spin around alot, and I asked another dealer to mount the size I had before.
Sometimes, with strong headwind all the way and/or bridge up, I nearly stall and it sucks. But ohwell, seen over the year, it's just a very minor distance that way.
Ofcourse, that's just my case. I don't care much about average speed / efficiency, if I get the work done and I've trained my bio stuff rest of life gets easier.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I rode a decade every day work/home/shop/leisure with a 2 x 7 gear. After a drivetrain replacement on the biggest front and smallest rear until it started to skip then I rode the second smallest rear until it skipped then again drivetrain replacement.
At some point, with one bike in the lbs awaiting repair since 6 months, and the other bike skipping the second smallest, I decided enough and went singlespeed>fixed.
So in fact, I never used gears. I pushed harder instead. I remember at a time I decided to buy a new bike, that the new bike had a smaller chainring mounted without dealer asked me or me asked him. After a month I still couldn't get used to that having to spin around alot, and I asked another dealer to mount the size I had before.
Sometimes, with strong headwind all the way and/or bridge up, I nearly stall and it sucks. But ohwell, seen over the year, it's just a very minor distance that way.
Ofcourse, that's just my case. I don't care much about average speed / efficiency, if I get the work done and I've trained my bio stuff rest of life gets easier.
That is just so screwed up!

Top Bottom