How many miles do you have to drive a month...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
We used to spend a lot on fuel, we still do only a bit less.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I wish it was as cheap a few years ago when i did the 130 miles a week school run. It was about £1.40 a litre then and costing me about 35 quid a week in diesel. Now i just use the car for local work putting a tenner in every 9 or 10 days.

We do circa 5000/annum.
I travel a lot more miles than that, either in the back of an aeroplane or on a ship where someone else does the driving in both cases.

The oil price is severely effecting people I know, a few are being laid off as the oil companies scaling back and stopping production in some oil fields.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
700 per month average.

I have to have a business use insurance policy (that gets checked by the suits)

First 14 miles are at my own expense.

No increase in fuel allowance in the last 5 or 6 years & job spec states I have to own, maintain & use own car even when other options are available (bus, tram, train, cycle).

Still, better off than some I suppose.

screenman

Legendary Member
I see a lot of low mileage older cars through my work, there must be a mileage point where a taxi is more cost efficient, not sure where that point is though.

donnydave

Über Member
On average in Car A we do 5-6k a year so at most 500 miles per month but thats averaged over the year, our car usage spikes in holidays where we have long trips to visit family. My wife and I both cycle to work practically every day, only driving when feeling under the weather or have something on in the evening, this accounts for maybe 100 miles a month at most. Car B did 2500 last year but all of it non-essential and it can go for months without being used.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
No idea on fuel savings, fuel goes in when they need it. Across the cars the two of us probably do a little over 2000 miles per month. We share some of the commute (I'm dropped off with the bike, she continues on to work at the moment) so around 1500 of that is commuting.

RWright

Guru
I may drive my personal truck 400 miles a month on a busy month.. Several months ago my niece's car finally gave up on her and she has since been driving my mother's car. My niece went on a holiday vacation with my brother (her dad) and his family and I was doing errands for my mother. I was driving my mother's car during this time, late December, because it is easier for her to get in an out of than my truck. I though I should look at the oil change sticker (just in case) and it was dated October 23, 2014, the car had been driven over 8500 miles between then and December 22. I am still trying to figure out how in the hell my niece found the time to put that many miles on the car. :eek: My mother rarely left her home for the past six months and my brother who lives very close by, normally does her errands for her. I guess the bigger question for me would be why would anyone want to do that much driving if they didn't have to. :wacko:

Top Bottom