How many non Scottish people like Whisky?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pottsy

I'm not really a whisky fan, perhaps just the occasional Jamesons.

However, I do have bottle of Bowmore 12 year Whisky left here after a party. Can one of you experts tell me if that's any good?

Kirstie

Über Member
Pottsy said:
I'm not really a whisky fan, perhaps just the occasional Jamesons.

However, I do have bottle of Bowmore 12 year Whisky left here after a party. Can one of you experts tell me if that's any good?

I should think so!

Pottsy

Excellent!

I think I'll wait for the weekend though. ;) Dash of water, no ice. I'll post what I think of it later.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I love whisky, but I find that I can't drink very much, if at all, these days.

I like Islay malts generally, although I can handle a Macallan, which is quite light and refined. I loved the 1920s style bottling they produced a couple of years back. I am not a of heavy, sweet Highland single malts. The worst I ever tasted was Royal Lochnagar - it was like a kid's drink, tooth-rottingly sweet and filthy. You might as well drink Drambui. Foul stuff...

Headgardener

Armchair Cyclist
The men in the Church homegroup that I belong to get together for a single malt tasting evening every so often. Everybody is required to bring a bottle to sample and the rarer the better, in fact it gets to be quite a competition to bring the rarest malt. Light snacks are also served and the women retire to do womenly things and are on hand to act as transport at the end.
P.S No we don't get paraletic but we do get merry.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I acquired the taste for Whiskey on a holiday in Ireland. There seemed to be a choice between Guinness or Power's whiskey. :girl::girl::biggrin: so I chose the Whiskey. Now I prefer a single malt, straight, no ice. I also did a tour of several distilleries in Scotland with a large group of people, not many of whom liked straight Whiskey, it would have been extremely rude turn down their generosity, wouldn't it? :girl:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Laphroaig is probably my favourite. I quite like Irish whiskey too, but it's very different.

Kirstie

Über Member
Headgardener said:
The men in the Church homegroup that I belong to get together for a single malt tasting evening every so often. Everybody is required to bring a bottle to sample and the rarer the better, in fact it gets to be quite a competition to bring the rarest malt. Light snacks are also served and the women retire to do womenly things and are on hand to act as transport at the end.
P.S No we don't get paraletic but we do get merry.

Gosh. The women must have a riot on those nights...

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
I love malt whisky, especially the Islays like Laphroaig and Caol Isla. My other half has also been known to enjoy a good malt, especially when camping or after walking up something big and steep in winter.

Has to be Whiskey for me. Don't seem to get on too well with Scotch. A few pints of Guinness.. ok maybe a gallon then, followed by a large bottle of Jamesons between 3 to see the dawn in was my regular student night out/in. During the winter, the Jamesons was swopped for Powers or Paddy, there's a kettle in the middle of the floor, Lemon, sugar and cloves, and hot toddys were served till the bottle was drained. Then there's the "whoosh" as you stand up after drinking hot toddys.. excellent. An Irish coffee must be made with an Irish whiskey and similarly hot toddys taste better with Irish whiskey. I did try to get into this single malt thing.. pub round the corner from where I used to live in England had 250 single malts behind the bar.. but I couldn't train myself up. I think it was a cultural thing with the way pubs in England closed bang on 11.. I always associate Whisk(e)y with a relaxing fireside chat rather than the last orders must get another drink in before closing time culture that exists in England.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Love whisky & whiskey, have to not keep it in the house - I buy a bottle as a treat when I'm coming back from abroad, or if there's something big to celebrate, but when it's gone, it's gone.

Having drunk it neat for many years, I was surprised to see some expert (a distillery bloke, not an academic) say that it should always be drunk with a splash of room-temperature water...brings out the flavour or something. And having tried it, that's how I always drink it now. When I have some...

Top Bottom