How many non Scottish people like Whisky?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

papercorn2000

I do enjoy one occasionally - I especially used to enjoy it when I used to climb more. Nothing better than sharing a half bottle and a few spliffs in a bothy after a long day on a cold, steep climb.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Kirstie said:
I'm going to Islay in April, and I'm already saving up to bring back some of the single malts.

You very Lucky girl! I am very jealous, Say Hello to that beautiful Island for me, and enjoy your Dram's.;):biggrin::biggrin:

DJ

papercorn2000 said:
Is there decent surfing on Islay?

Well let me put it this way (as a non surfer) I do a lot of sailing.

There are beaches on Islay where there is always surf, quite often really big surf. They are renowned for very bad undertow so surfing or indeed even swimming is not reccommended, People do drown in that undertow.

Having said that I know that reall surfer's are not put off by a bit of undertow and know how to deal with it. I have met people who have surfed their without any problem's and I believe there is a guy who will act as a guide, no idea who he is though.

So if you don't mind just turning up and finding the beaches and giving it a go then you will probably be fine. Some of the best beaches are not accessible by road, the local farmer's are used to people walking across their land and don't mind as long as you don't park accross their gateway, yes people do actualy do that!

Oh the best thing about Islay, is the solitude, if you want an audience then go to Bournemouth as quite often even on a blazing hot sunny day you might get about 5 people on a 3 mile stretch of beach. The locals aren't really used to sun and will probably be working anyway so apart from a few holiday makers there will be no one to bother you.

Its amazingly beautiful when the sun shines, just enjoy the peacefulness.;)

Must stop now, I could go on for ever.

gavintc

Guru
Headgardener said:
The men in the Church homegroup that I belong to get together for a single malt tasting evening every so often. Everybody is required to bring a bottle to sample and the rarer the better, in fact it gets to be quite a competition to bring the rarest malt. Light snacks are also served and the women retire to do womenly things and are on hand to act as transport at the end.
P.S No we don't get paraletic but we do get merry.

Another reason to distrust the god botherers, they do not even regard women as equals. I suppose no one asked the women if they wanted a tipple?

DJ

satans budgie said:
Please use spring water, the contaminated fluid that comes out of the tape the water companies destroys the aqua vītae.

Ye my Father ( A true Scot) swears by a little spring water, for me there are some Malts that I can drink neat no problem and others i can't abide without a bit of water in them.
TBH it's an urban myth or maybe it was a practical joke the Scot's would play on the English, by saying that you should never put water in it.

DJ

User1314 said:
I've given in to the temptation and just poured myself a large Glenlivet (with adash of water!). I do prefer the peaty tasting stuff. Only one large left in my bottle. No doubt that will go tonight as well!

Oh dang if I wasn't at work I would have one now as well!;)

If it's a nice malt i always squeeze the dregs out;):biggrin: luverly.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm an Islay malt kinda guy, but like a drop of the Irish occasionally with some ice... It's also fun asking the barmaid if she has a black-Bush...

gavintc

Guru
I always have a bottle of Bells or Grouse in the house. It makes good cooking whisky and I am partial to the odd quick slug - just to make sure it has not gone off!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have to say Bells is one of a few 'household name' Scottish whiskys I've never really enjoyed. By contrast, I've yet to discover a Whiskey I didn't like. Jamesons (I was once told it should be pronounced with the first syllable to rhyme with 'ham', is that true?), Bushmills, Paddy...all reliably wonderful.

Keith Oates

Janner
I like whisky and used to drink it quite often but I now find it brings on the gout when I do drink it, so have not had any for a few years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom