How many non Scottish people like Whisky?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Reportedly, when I was about 5 yrs old I spent an evening at one of my parent parties knocking back enough whisky to make me very ill. I just swiped adults glasses, took a swig and consumed a fair amount in the process. I have not really looked back from that day and love my whisky.

graham56

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
That reminds me, I have an un-opened bottle of Jameson's at home with my name on it along with a bottle of Purser's navy rum.

decisions decisions :biggrin:

Mmmmmm PUSSERS View attachment 2338

Oh and i also like a dram or three

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I didn't like whiskey until I was about 30, then I discovered Glenmorangie and I have not looked back since.

D-Rider

Can Scots reply on this thread? My favourite is Talisker but I was also probably in my thirties before acquiring the taste for it...

I also like Jameson's but was warned that "You're not in Ireland now" when attempting to order some in a bar in Portree....

Paulus

When I was cycling around Skye back in 2001 I went to the distillery at Talisker, but it was shut at the time so i didn't get to look around the place.

Cranky

I'm very partial to a single malt - nothing added. Like some others here, I've had to learn not to keep it around the house on a regular basis!

D-Rider

Paulus said:
When I was cycling around Skye back in 2001 I went to the distillery at Talisker, but it was shut at the time so i didn't get to look around the place.

I was up there for a hillwalking weekend last year. We stayed just past the distillery. I mentioned it was my favourite whisky every time we passed it but my companions would not sanction a tour during our hectic schedule.... :biggrin:

Paulus

Cranky said:
I'm very partial to a single malt - nothing added. Like some others here, I've had to learn not to keep it around the house on a regular basis!

With all the single malts available it is hard to comprehend how people drink the blended stuff. There is no comparison apart from maybe the price, but you have to pay for quality.

Christopher

Über Member
I like the Islay peaty malts (and am not Scottish). My brother swears by Talisker, the perfect gift (at about £30 a bottle!)

Chris James

Über Member
I like most whiskies, although in common with most of the posters about I like the island malts - eg Lagavulin (prob my fave), Laphroaig, Talisker etc.

The Speysides and Lowland malts are probably a bit more sophisticated, without the peaty phenols of the island malts. The Macallan is a lovely malt, Glenlivet too. Actually, they are all nice.

I also have a soft spot for Tobermory since we went to the distillery on out honeymoon.

ACS

Legendary Member
Single malt man myself, splash of chilled spring water, crystal glass, job done. Think Macallan is about top of the shop, with Springbank from Cambeltown coming a close second but I would not turn my nose up at any of them.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
I was born on the Island of Islay, where a lot of the whiskies, you are all talking about come from.

I have been around a few of the distilleries and had the free dram's at the end:smile:

Bowmore make superb ones and Ardbeg is lovely too.

Talisker from Skye takes some beating too.

Did anyone, see Oz Clark and James May, they went to Islay and visited the Bruichladdich distillery. TBH I struggle to like that one a little, but it seems to be popular any way.

djtheglove said:
I was born on the Island of Islay, where a lot of the whiskies, you are all talking about come from.

I have been around a few of the distilleries and had the free dram's at the end:smile:

Bowmore make superb ones and Ardbeg is lovely too.

Talisker from Skye takes some beating too.

Did anyone, see Oz Clark and James May, they went to Islay and visited the Bruichladdich distillery. TBH I struggle to like that one a little, but it seems to be popular any way.

I'm going to Islay in April, and I'm already saving up to bring back some of the single malts.

Top Bottom