How many of us are there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Since I joined the forum in 2009 the number of people posting on fixed and single speed has shot up, my question is this; how many of us ride fixed or ss most of the time? Which? How long have you been riding? How many of the fairer sex? What is your average weekly / monthly or yearly mileage. What gear inch do you ride? Finally, what biker you riding
I will start, fixed, more than 90% of the time, last 8 years continuously, ave between 7 & 10,000 miles per year.
75" gear. 2 bikes, Pearson Touche and Brian Rourke steel 853.
My better half dr_pink, around 60% of the time, fixed, 6 years, 80 - 120 miles per week in winter less than 50 in summer, 69" gear, unbranded very pink bike.
Just curious.

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm new to riding fixed, only a few weeks. I plan to commute on my fixed gear when we move offices. It was meant to be next week but has been pushed back by a couple of weeks. At the moment I only ride fixed at weekends but I love it and go out when I can. My gearing is 72.5".

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I ride fixed every day, and have done for seven or eight years. Used to do a 7 miles each way commute, but now I work from home, so it's down to about 2 miles each way to the swimming pool. Mind, that does involve a serious hill en route. Weekends I usually take a longer ride, tho' still only 10 miles or so - but again with pretty serious hilliness. Can't imagine ever stopping, tho' I guess realistically I'll have to one day. (I'm 54 now.) Bike is an old Olmo - '70s, I believe - built up from a frame bought on ebay. Bloke who sold it me said - and caveated with 'I don't know if it's true' - that the guy he'd bought it from said it had started out owned by the Italian national track racing team.It's certainly a lovely bike! No idea what gearing. Quite high I think.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Single speed 80% of 4500 yearly miles for the last 3 years.
Bikes:
Scottish brand "paper bicycle" (all 3 stone of it in spite of the name!) used mostly for commuting.
Unbranded 80's recycled frame, 5 speeds but I only ever use third gear, the others work but I can't be bothered with the thumb shifters.
Gearing no idea for both.
... Well, you did ask :whistle: ^_^

SSmatty

New to single speed. 1979 puch prima that I got new as a teenager.
Mine has a freewheel, and I ride it to work most days, a 4 Mile round trip on 76 " gears.
Use other bikes for longer rides.
Just bought an old Hercules Kestrel, looking to go fixed with that.

Last edited:
I originally bought the Pearson as a winter bike,it has a flip flop hub but I have never used it, in fact I have never ridden in the single speed freewheel mode. I can't imagine not riding fixed anymore. My dad raced on fixed, mostly before I arrived on the scene, I too have raced fixed both on the track and off, strange how you end up like your parents. I am truly shocked to my very core that some of you don't know how many gear inches you are riding :hyper:.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
99% of my riding is fixed, 30 mile round trip to work normally ride 4 times a week, sometimes 5.

4000/5000 miles a year average currently on a Cooper Sebring, 77 inches.

Been riding fixed now for 7 years and love it.

Wobbly John

Veteran
Apart from using one in the mid '70s, Fixed has been my most riden bike since 2006. A Raleigh Sirrocco frame, but also a Carlton track frame. Gearing is in the 72 - 78" range.

Apart from using one in the mid '70s, Fixed has been my most riden bike since 2006. A Raleigh Sirrocco frame, but also a Carlton track frame. Gearing is in the 72 - 78" range.
What you might not realise is that we know each other, having met on several occasions, I think the first time was either at Mildenhall Rally [I rode your crazy bike first attempt] or York Rally] many years ago, I remember Ken Platts and son Tom [who we see regularly] couldn't do it.

Top Bottom