How many of us are there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Been riding fixed exclusively for 8/9 years now,I cover around 8000 moles a year,commuting and 9 or 10 century rides a year,ride 78" in flattish areas and 72" in the hills,been riding a Tifosi frame for the past year

Poor moles :sad:

:biggrin:

I ride fixed about 60% of the time, since 2010 when I tried it out and "got it"...
And that is it, when you "get" it you really do and just about impossible to explain to those on gears what you are going on about. My first ever try on fixed was actually on an outdoor velodrome, a few warm up laps during which the bike I was riding tried to throw me off several times and then I was racing, talk about being thrown in at the deep end! However the sheer simplicity of the riding experience struck a chord with me and I have been hooked for the last 8 years.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Rode fixed when I was nobbut a lad but never for racing. Stopped riding fixed when I moved up to Durham 28 years ago cos going fast down steep hills on fixed terrifies me.
I've had a fixed wheel bike down at our owd lasses in the flat lands of East Yorkshire for the last ten years. It's a Bianchi Pista, drilled for a front brake and currently running at 72". It has a flip flop hub but the only time I've ridden it on the freewheel side (66" I think) was into a strong headwind when I had a bit of a hangover. I appreciate the simplicity; pedal to go, stop pedalling to stop. It really comes into its own on the flat and I can do 100 miles+ from my Mothers without going over 5m above sea level or going over the same bit of road.
Furthest I've ridden it recently is about 70 miles as I'm finding it's getting a bit uncomfortable as I'm getting older and creakier. Was thinking of swapping for a Genesis Flyer as the angles look a bit more relaxed and I could run fatter tyres.
I ride a geared bike around Co. Durham. I'd have no chance getting up Peth Bank on 72" fixed, even with a tail wind.

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
2008 - Bought my Specialized Langster for the flat 3 mile commute through London that I had at the time.
Started using it for midweek rides when I couldn't be bothered to get the geared bike out of the shed.
Gradually came to realise that riding fixed made me smile much more than riding geared.
For the last few years it's been my preferred ride unless I know it's going to be really hilly or exceptionally windy, when I tend to bottle it and ride with gears. The stupid thing is, when that happens, I'm still strangely reluctant to use them.

Currently running 78.5", which is fine for 99% of Kentish roads.

Top Bottom