How many of us...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

... are growing veggies this year?

I'm giving it another go. Last year was my first serious attempt at growing any range/amount of stuff. I met with varying success. Made mistakes - which I am hopefully learning from. Some successes which I hope to be able to replicate. What have we got planted?

Potatoes
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Spring Onions
Radishes
Lettuces & various 'salad leaves'
Courgettes & squashes
Peppers (hot & sweet)
Beans
Herbs
Rhubarb
Scorzenera
Hamburg Parsley (which appears not to want to germinate)
Chard
Spinach Beet
Kale
Kohl Rabi

This year I'm avoiding carrots, as the ground is just too stony. And I'm not growing asparagus pea again - incredible inedible waste of time that crop was last year.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Yup.
I was determined to do some this year after running out of time last season.
Not much variety though, I thought I'd best make it as easy as possible for myself:

Tomatoes
Swetcorn
Multiple lettuce varieties
Peas
Potatoes
Beetroot
Cucumbers
Peppers
Chilli peppers
Asparagus will be planted out this Year
Rhubarb (always on the go)

It's all sprouted, in the greenhouse, and ready to go out but we're STILL getting heavy frosts!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We have the potatoes .. but they are still in the windowsill hopefully they will go in this weekend... garlic is growing well as is the remainder of last year's spinach.

Other than that its at the seedling stage for tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuces, peas, courgettes and I can't remember what else.

ASC1951

Guru
wafflycat said:
This year I'm avoiding carrots, as the ground is just too stony.
Carrots are so ubiquitous that we assume they are easy to grow. Mine have always been little stunted mis-shapes and I haven't bothered for years. In fact no-one I know manages to get a decent crop.

How about Jerusalem artichokes, Waffles? Very prolific, pest-free, not too fussy about soil or aspect, and require even less attention than spuds. I grow them every year. http://www.allotment.org.uk/vegetable/jerusalem-artichoke/index.php

I also grow a lot of fruit. Red and green gooseberries, red white and black currants, pears (not very good), some sulky grapes, a morello cherry, half a dozen varieties of apple and even a medlar tree. A bit of a squeeze in a town garden, but it all fits. I also had a quince tree, but after producing two quinces in 15 years it finally got the chop last autumn.

PBancroft

I'm lucky enough to have managed to get my hands on an allotment. So far I have planted / waiting to get put out in the greenhouse*...

Tomatoes
Chilli Peppers
Leeks
Potatoes
Carrots
Parsnips
Onions
Garlic
Peas
Runner Beans
Brussel Sprouts
Sweetcorn
Lettuce

I have a couple of blueberry bushes too. Today I sow my courgettes, a few more peas and have a general potter about trying to tidy things up.

* Actually my dad's greenhouse. Our garden is too small.

rh100

wafflycat said:
... are growing veggies this year?

I'm giving it another go. Last year was my first serious attempt at growing any range/amount of stuff. I met with varying success. Made mistakes - which I am hopefully learning from. Some successes which I hope to be able to replicate. What have we got planted?

Potatoes
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Spring Onions
Radishes
Lettuces & various 'salad leaves'
Courgettes & squashes
Peppers (hot & sweet)
Beans
Herbs
Rhubarb
Scorzenera
Hamburg Parsley (which appears not to want to germinate)
Chard
Spinach Beet
Kale
Kohl Rabi

This year I'm avoiding carrots, as the ground is just too stony. And I'm not growing asparagus pea again - incredible inedible waste of time that crop was last year.

Well, this is Mrs RH's territory, but I get to do some of the labour :smile:

After clearing space in the garden we put down a couple of raised beds, which now have :

Potatoes
Cucumber
Onion
Chilli
Rocket
Carrots
Garlic
Tomatoes

Very much an experiment at the moment as never done it before.

Going to clear more overgrowth today to put a couple more beds down and clear room for the greenhouse.

Gromit

Über Member
Me me, I am,

Potatoes are already in,
Onions (red, white, shallots). Bought lots more to plant out when Bikepete gets back
Cucumber
Tomatoes
Garlic (need to put that in soon)
Carrots need to prepare a bed to sow them into
Parsnips
Sweet corn
Lettuce
Spinach
Cabbage
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Sprouts
Peppers
beans and peas
Rainbow chard

I'm sure I have loads more stuff to grow somewhere. I have a nice weed free allotment to plant them all in and a very good greenhouse. The fruit bushes have nice green foliage so I'm hoping for a nice crop this year.

TVC

Not much this year as we won't be around much at harvest time, so:

Broad Beans
New Spuds
Spring onions

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is Mrs Fossy's domain as well - I do the digging over/making/watering....

Fair range of stuff...potatoes, chili, asparagus, tomatoes, lettuce, garlic, strawberries, blue berries, courgette, cucumber and others......

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

al78

Guru
I've got some potatoes in grow bags, have tried sowing some carrot seeds but haven't seen any come up yet, I think the local cat population trashes them before they have a chance. Have a selection of herbs (chives, thyme, sage and rosemary).

It did cross my mind to convert the lawn in the back garden to an allotment using raised beds and trying to persuade one or two of the stables around here to give me some of their horse manure. One thing that puts me off is I have had limited success growing things in the past (last year a wet July contributed to potato blight wiping out two thirds of my crop).

TVC

wafflycat said:

Thanks waffles, this idea is currently being transmitted to Mrs VC who has the muddy fingers round here (she grows it, I cook it).

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Got a small allotment, not much growing yet- potatoes, broad beans, leeks, onions.

I'm going to plant borlotti beans tomorrow and put in some cauliflower plants.

Got some apple trees and a cherry tree too, strawberries, raspberries.

Possibly some asparagus this year too.

Top Bottom