How many people here ride Audax events?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Incidentally, I said I wouldn't start the audax vs sportive debate again...but you sort of did by your link

However, this http://www.cyclosport.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=527 might be interesting.
Cyclosport is a private website listing sportives in UK and abroad and the editor has a rating system for events
1-out-of-10 is "Not a Sportive - Looks like more of an Audax, Reliability Ride or Charity Ride to me"
I asked why this was, what it was about sportives vs audax and got a storm of indignant abuse !

Noodley

I ride audax as well - again, not in your neck of the woods but in Scotland. Although I shall be travelling to a few events in England/Wales this coming year.

Chris

I try do do one a month. I've done about 9 this year -

100km Rutland and Beyond - Leicester
200km Cheltenham Flyer - Cheltenham
200km Start of Summertime Special - Stevenage
300km Heart of England - Cirencester
100km Sawtry Saunter - Bedford
600km Daylight - Edinburgh (DNF - did approx 500km)
200km China Run - Tamworth
50km Welland Wander - Husbands Bosworth (with family in tow)
100km Hauxton - Cambridge

Hoping to do

200km Goldington Gambol - Bedford
200km Upper Thames - Reading
200km Tinsel Lanes - Tamworth

skut

redfox said:
That's still a yes then. :evil:

I was going to ask how come a sportive post gets x thousand views and an audax post will be lucky to get into double figures, but it was sort of done before.

Wow - I don't post here that often so I didn't realise my original post had kicked off such a debate. As it turns out I've done a couple of Audaxes since then. The second was the Herts+Luton 150k in the pouring pouring rain. Fun.

PS. Having read that other thread - can I just say that life would be much easier if it was possible to enter and pay for Audaxes online.

longers

Legendary Member
I'm going to try and do one before the end of the year (I'll take a weather check for one on 23rd Dec), if not I'd like to do my first next year.

OP
OP
redfox

redfox

skut said:
PS. Having read that other thread - can I just say that life would be much easier if it was possible to enter and pay for Audaxes online.

Agreed, but I doubt we'll see that without a major overhaul; the disconnect between organisers and the organisation itself would seem to be an insurmountable barrier.

So, is anyone planning to ride the Upper Thames next week?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've done a few 100k's in the past but I decided I wasn't getting any more out of them than doing a local 100k ride with a few friends.

Noodley

skut said:

Some organisers have plans for that this coming season.

Cheddar George

oober member
I've done a total of one only (100K), am now planning on doing a couple in Jan/Feb.

wafflycat

Well I've gone and done something rash: joined Audax UK (husband has too). I want to do some structured distance riding next year to help keep the excess flab at bay.

OP
OP
redfox

redfox

wafflycat said:
Well I've gone and done something rash: joined Audax UK (husband has too). I want to do some structured distance riding next year to help keep the excess flab at bay.

Not a rash move at all wc, you only have to enter a few for it to save you money.

wafflycat

Cheddar George said:
I also sent my membership application yesterday, already getting an urge to grow a beard and buy a leather saddle.

I already have a leather saddle. But I'll pass on the beard. Husband has one and his is lovely, but I don't think I'd suit one.

Top Bottom