How Many Recumbents Have You Actually Seen on the Road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Mikey Van Erp and Andy Allsopp never seemed to have a problem.

I did one FNR on my bent when I had it. To Shoreham. I can't remember if you where on that rude?

I remember both of them. Didn't Andy make those rather wonderful films of the FNRttCs set to music?
I'm not sure if I went to Shoreham. Is it the ride that goes past Lancing College and ends up on a quay at breakfast time?

roughly one every 2 months, in the last few years? (And my desk-partition-buddy owns one!) Of course this could be just 1-2 different riders. Oxfordshire, usually rural.

But that's excluding organised events. I've seen more at 3xPBPs than most people will see in a lifetime. Every big audax and FNRttC usually has one-or-more. I see less at Time Trials and Cyclo-cross.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I remember both of them. Didn't Andy make those rather wonderful films of the FNRttCs set to music?
I'm not sure if I went to Shoreham. Is it the ride that goes past Lancing College and ends up on a quay at breakfast time?

He did.

Actually, thinking about it, it was Bognor. Shoreham finishes at the airport.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For those that dont race or mountain bike, a recumbent or trike is probably the best way to go. The comfort and view just can be beat.

Not sure about the views. Here I Kent we have high hedgerows so really couldn't see much when riding low.

Saw one yesterday. Went over for a chat. Turns out he sometimes rides out with her recumbentist in the next village to us, who I've had plenty of chats with. Both ride ICE trikes with motors assist.

rydabent

Veteran
Here in the US one thing that is driving recumbents is electric trikes. You see older people all over the place riding e-trikes. You just cant beat them for ease of pedaling, comfort, and the view. No worries about falling over.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Saw one today, might have been a trike version

rydabent

Veteran
In the 80s, 90s and the 00s, people that wanted comfort and low drag were riding bents. Now these same riders, that are of the Baby Boomer generation here in the US are going to Tadpole trikes. And a lot of them are going to tadpole E-trikes. The E-trike have unleashed a whole new group of riders on the bike paths here. Since they are trikes, and cant fall over, many seem to be a man and wife couple. Trikes have basically enable wife to go riding with their husband. It is great to see. But from what I read here, in Jolly old England people have been falling behind in this new trend. And yet ICE trikes are built in Cornwall England, and are a well respected trike here in the US.

Alex321

Veteran
In the 80s, 90s and the 00s, people that wanted comfort and low drag were riding bents. Now these same riders, that are of the Baby Boomer generation here in the US are going to Tadpole trikes. And a lot of them are going to tadpole E-trikes. The E-trike have unleashed a whole new group of riders on the bike paths here. Since they are trikes, and cant fall over, many seem to be a man and wife couple. Trikes have basically enable wife to go riding with their husband. It is great to see. But from what I read here, in Jolly old England people have been falling behind in this new trend. And yet ICE trikes are built in Cornwall England, and are a well respected trike here in the US.

I suspect a part of this may be down to a lot of roads in the UK being narrower than in the US, and conventional trikes tend to be a lot wider than bikes.

They do exist, but usually just for things like local shopping, rather than for "serious" riding.

And even though recumbent trikes aren't usually as wide, they still suffer by association.

Alex321

Veteran
Perceived but in reality the road space taken up is pretty damn close to if you were on a bike. Certainly not “a lot wider” with rider on board.

That is probably true. But perception means a lot.

People look at the bike and trike next to each other, and don't think about how much the rider adds to the overall width of a bike. They also tend not to see that the handlebars are just as wide as the track of the paired wheels.

rydabent

Veteran
I suspect a part of this may be down to a lot of roads in the UK being narrower than in the US, and conventional trikes tend to be a lot wider than bikes.

They do exist, but usually just for things like local shopping, rather than for "serious" riding.

And even though recumbent trikes aren't usually as wide, they still suffer by association.

"suffer by association" ?? Please explain.

Top Bottom