how many saddles have you bought ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
peanut said:
I know I'm going to regret asking this Joe :whistle::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

but why have you got 8x pairs of pedals lol:ohmy:;)
Shimano SPD-L on both bikes, plus one spare set (Don't remember where or why I got them), two pairs of SPD's which I had to take off as they gave me knee trouble, two pairs of Look in almost new condition (I decided I preferred the lower stack height of the Shimanos) and one pair of Time Impact which I paid 60 quid for and found they were the worst pedals I have ever had the misfortune to use. I took them off after three rides.

I quite fancy some Speedplays, but hey let's not be silly.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have an old Trek saddle on the MTB, which I have re-covered with new vinyl three times now. It's easy.

The road bike has a Flite saddle which looks terriblly uncomfortable but I don't actually notice, ever. I get more pain from my hands.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Padding has not got anything to do with comfort. You're going about it all wrong. what you need to do is get yourself down the LBS and have your sit bones measured (that is the pointy bits of your pelvic bone that you actually sit on). This involves sitting on some sort of pad, which leaves two dents/marks in the pad where your bones are, and the shop measures the distance between each dent and gets a saddle with the equal measurement. i've only ever bought two saddles and they are on the two bikes that i own. i have never looked back since having my pelvic sit bones measured.

anywhere that stocks specialized or bontraguer saddles will have the relevant pad.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
buggi said:
Padding has not got anything to do with comfort. You're going about it all wrong. what you need to do is get yourself down the LBS and have your sit bones measured (that is the pointy bits of your pelvic bone that you actually sit on). This involves sitting on some sort of pad, which leaves two dents/marks in the pad where your bones are, and the shop measures the distance between each dent and gets a saddle with the equal measurement. i've only ever bought two saddles and they are on the two bikes that i own. i have never looked back since having my pelvic sit bones measured.

anywhere that stocks specialized or bontraguer saddles will have the relevant pad.

I agree. I was measured for a specialized saddle and after a few rides I don't even notice I'm sitting on anything now.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I bought 1 until I discovered Brooks B17 and then I bought no more.
[Edit/Lying bit/Edit]
Not true, I bought another Brooks when I bought another bike.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have 3, but the best one was the 2nd one ... a Body Geometry one. I'm still on the look for the absolutely most comfortable one... but don't want to spend any more money.

gavintc

Guru
I have had a few, but they are sequential. Of my 4 road bikes, only 1 was bought as a complete bike. And on that one, the saddle was replaced quite quickly. I prefer the type of saddle you have eschewed; hard with a 'silly' cut out. Perhaps you should try out some 'silly' saddles.

OP
OP
P

peanut

Hey Fossy you've got a Ribble dibble too:biggrin:
Mine is the tasteful Flo pink version :becool:
Love it to bits and did think about refinishing once but then the local natives would miss a good larf;)

fossyant said:
My Regal...... attached to a bike !!!

tyred

Legendary Member
I have always just used whatever came with the bike. Then I discovered the joy of a Brooks saddle and bought one for my other bike as well. I won't be buying any more saddles unless I buy another bike. My Carlton came with a dog eared Wrights' B17 clone which has cleaned up nicely with some saddle soap and I intend to use it whenever I get round to putting the bike back together.

Top Bottom