How many spacers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Surely, if you need that much seatpost and steerer exposed and such a long stem (120mm?) you've bought a frame that's at least one size too small?

My view entirely. Modern road bike design and the fashion for riding on frames that are way too small with saddles set way too high to compensate, has just got to the point of being plain silly now. It just looks comical, like an adult trying to ride a kids bike they've borrowed which is clearly nowhere near big enough.
I really don't "get it" at all. When I acquire a "new" bike, I ideally look for the largest frame that will comfortably fit me in standover height, I've actually passed over the opportunity of several FOC or dirt cheap used bikes on the grounds the frames were simply too small for me to ride without extreme seatpost lengths, extra long stems etc.
Saddle and bar height adjustment is supposed to fine tune a bike that basically already fits a rider to begin with, to obtain the optimum riding position for their body. It is not intended to facilitate a one frame fits all approach where extreme adjustments are made to an otherwise unrideable sized bike.
There are sufficient different size frames out there, both on the new and secondhand market, for at least 99% of cyclists to be able to get one that actually fits them reasonably well from the outset.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
quick quiz, how many spacers used? And yes I know the bike is too small for me, but I just love it too much to sell it!
Surely, if you need that much seatpost and steerer exposed and such a long stem (120mm?) you've bought a frame that's at least one size too small?
More waffle without looking at the OPs situation.
:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If the OP likes the bike itself, but not the size, the solution isn't exactly rocket science; buy a secondhand example of the same bike in a larger frame size, and sell the one that's too small. Any parts on the OP's bike in better condition than on the replacement one could be swapped over before sale to end up with the best condition bike possible. Job done, and possibly at very little cost if the selling and buying prices are similar. It might even work out in your favour and end up costing less than nothing. And it would actually fit!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I didn't have to wait as long as I expected to ... I spotted the bike outside a cafe in Hebden Bridge today and asked the owner if she would mind me taking a picture of it.
Having not seen the bike for a few years, I spotted the owner riding it again today in Halifax, only 5 days since the previous sighting!

si_c

Guru
Not everyone has the luxury of getting a bike that fits them perfectly out of the box. I quite often see bikes whose largest size is XL being only 58cm, I currently ride a 61cm, which is a touch on the small side for me.

Top Bottom