How many times do you manage it??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
I have often wondered is it me..is it the way I ride but on average I come off my bike once per year...various reasons..snow, some idiot jumping out and I swerve to avoid, back wheel slipping on leaves mud etc. No matter how hard I try there is always a time, and it only takes a split second, that I must lose concentration and WHAM!! I hit the deck and another painful lesson learned...is it me or do most of you at some time or other...hit the deck. ...

fossala

Guru
I haven't had a crash yet. 6 months into commuting 20 miles a day, 5 days a week.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I wiped out on sheet ice last year. I was going slowly though, so only had a broken front light and torn jacket to show for it. I'm quite a risk-averse / careful / cowardly cyclist.

Gez73

Veteran
One bad fall due to SMIDSY and three due to novice clipless moments. Usually not that bad but to be fair I do find myself retrospectively analysing situations and feeling that they could have been worse had I not been as aware. I seem to see the possible worst in situations and feel glad I managed to judge/avoid them. I'm not clairvoyant though but do try to err on the cautious side. One baddie a year seems reasonable to me. Can't be that lucky/aware all the time. Gez

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Usually have one bad 'off' a year it seems on average.
Either coming off due to leaf mulch, frost/ice, left hooked, right hooked, wayward pedestrian etc

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Ok,last time was 2008 I think,twice,due to gear problems.Jumping chain,eventually the whole drive chain was replaced.

2006 ped collision
2007 don't think so.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've been off twice this year... both my own fault, taking corners too fast and tight in icy conditions.

Apart from that I've had the odd fall on wet leaves, in the past 4 years i've had 3 collisions with vehicles, all 3 with the driver pulling out in front of me.

Gez73

Veteran
I had one horrendous slip about two years ago when on a bend not too tight the bike went out from under me. Got bruised chest from the bar-ends as they landed on me. Must have looked awesome but not good for me. Using studded tyres every year since. I remember my nose ran and I was convinced it was broken but no just running. Nothing like your own blood to feel the taste of defeat/panic. All part of the great cycling commuting game. Felt like when you bite your tongue,-rage but nobody to blame!

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
The last time I came off my bike was in 1984. The only other time was in 1970. Since 1984, I estimate I've ridden 20,000 miles without falling once, and, since the bike is my sole form of personal transportation, I've had more than my share of cycling in rain, mud, snow and ice to get to work.

I think it's just a matter of taking things slowly and very carefully when weather/road conditions are poor.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
The last time I came off my bike was in 1984. The only other time was in 1970. Since 1984, I estimate I've ridden 20,000 miles without falling once, and, since the bike is my sole form of personal transportation, I've had more than my share of cycling in rain, mud, snow and ice to get to work.

I think it's just a matter of taking things slowly and very carefully when weather/road conditions are poor.

We have a winner.:becool:

3 clip less moments but no other falls but I am a coward on hills and bends and all ways looking out for slippery patches. Oh and my clip less moments I was hardly moving in fact a passer bye couldn't help but ask if I had just had a speed wobble :smile:

Top Bottom