How many WiFi devices?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I changed our wifirouter yesterday, which meant updating all WiFi devices with the new details. We have:
4 personal phones
1 work phone
3 tablets
3 smart TVs
1 fire stick
3 Alexa
1 hive hub
1 printer
2 laptops
1 PS4

so that’s 20 devices. And we don’t have any like a smart fridge, kettle or lightbulbs.

let’s see who has the most and least.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
One phone and one laptop.

Drago

Legendary Member
3 laptops, 3 Alexas, CCTV system, heating, 3 x tvs, solar system, domestic lighting sustem, 2 x mobile phones, 1 x tablet, and pobablymsomething else I've forgotten about.

steven1988

Veteran
3 phones
3 laptops
1 desktop
1 tablet
4 alexas
2 smart bulbs
2 nintendo Switches
1 xbox
1 PlayStation
3 smart TVS
Tv box

Oh printer and smart hub aswell

22 make that 24 devices god knows how slow it would be if we used them all together

steven1988

Veteran
Wow! How do you all cope in a power cut?

I can't remember the last time we had a power cut, we've certainly not had one in the 13 years at this house

GetFatty

Über Member
2 laptops. 2 iPads, 4 mobile phones, 1 PS4, Sky Q, 3 Alexas, 1 Mac, 6 smart plugs.

But why not just set up your new router with the old details (assuming you hadn’t been compromised)?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
3 phones
3 laptop computers
2 tablets
2 Alexa / Echo Dot
1 printer
1 smart TV
1 Sky Q box
1 games console (Nintendo Switch)

So only 14, I think.

My daughter has a neat trick of playing Fortnite online with the Nintendo, while simultaneously being on House Party with her mates on the tablet, while also streaming music on the Echo. She must use the vast, vast majority of bandwidth.
Checking in on her is like seeing Ving Rhames in his van in Mission Impossible.
My work video call this afternoon was noticeably laggy at times thanks to her consumption, although that's rare.

Last edited:
35 online right now, but at least another 12 powered off and as for power cut my road had two on Saturday and to my surprise the default settings for all my Philips light bulbs is turn on once power is restored, which seems like an odd default and super annoying at 5am on Saturday

GetFatty

Über Member
Didnt know I could do that
Yep log onto the router with the admin (as you’ll be doing anyway to change the admin password), change the SSID to something meaningful (or hide it completely so only you know what to connect to), and then change the WiFi access password to the old one. Most things including my super secure work laptop are fine with it, Sky Q needs a bit of work and every now and again an Alexa has a hissy fit (but they do it all the time anyway)

Top Bottom