How much could I build a cross bike for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Just looking at some forks and I am getting confused by what it means when it says that they are intergrated? What type of fork do I need to be able to use a normal stem set up?

Steve

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
A complete bike will generally work out cheaper than building one. Building one is a good idea if you either want a particular build and are willing to pay a bit extra for it or if you already have parts or can get them cheap (you might be able to find someone selling a road bike cheaply that you can strip the groupset from, you might be able to sell on the frame and brakes and stuff you can't use- although it'll be easier to find an S/H cross bike).

Make sure your club know you are looking (I guess you've done this already)

If you are going for a single chainring you'll need to add some cash for chainguides- a lot are carbon so they cost a bit. Salsa cycles used to do aluminium ones.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Club don't know I am loking yet as I am not sure if I am gonna build this bike yet. I am not very good at cross but I enjoy it. However come the track season everyone at the club thinks that I will do well in that, and so parents wouldn't mind giving me money towards something that I am definately going to stick at/ be good at.

Steve

RedBike

I can't belive i'm putting you off the CX bike but in some ways it does make more sense to buy a track bike.

There's not that many CX races left this season (There may be a few summer ones in your local area.) So after another 2 /3 races the bike could end up sat in the garage all year.

There's nothing stopping you continuing CX racing using your existing MTB with your new tyres. Ok, you'll never be truely competative, but if you're enjoying yourself then does it really matter what position you finsih in?

jpembroke

Young Un said:
Just looking at some forks and I am getting confused by what it means when it says that they are intergrated? What type of fork do I need to be able to use a normal stem set up?

Steve

Some frames (e.g. new Kinesis) have integrated headsets (bearings sit in the actual headtube of the frame) and some frames (e.g. Planet X) have conventional headsets (bearings sit in cups pressed into the frame). The former is easier to install (requires no tools) but the latter is - in my opinion - stronger and more durable.

You will need forks to match i.e. if you get a frame with integrated headset you'll need integrated forks. If not, you'll need standard/conventional forks.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Yup it would - I am not going to be buying either for a little while, I am just planning in advanced so when my parents say, right buy a bike I can know exactly what I want.

Steve

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
you can pick up cross bikes 2nd hand for very little cash. much cheaper than any build.
check the STW small ads. Crossers (and pseudo crossers) come up all the time

mr-marty-martin

my paul mines with fulcrum kysruim wheels, and campag groupset all in great condition, for the bargin price of £50

:biggrin:

CopyofIMG_2285.jpg

Top Bottom