How much could I build a cross bike for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

Roughly how much do you think it would cost to build a cross bike with shimano sora or tiagra, and I think i would opt for a single front chainwheel. My parents want a rough idea, as my dad is due to retire soon I think they have decided it is a track bike or a cross bike, and so if they buy me the track bike, if you reckon i could do it cheaply I could build a cheap crosser that I would fund myself. I hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Steve

RedBike

Unless you already have most of the parts it will probably work out cheaper to buy one pre-built.

Paul Milnes cycles and Planet-x's Uncle John are worth adding to your list if you're on a budget.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

The website doesn't look like it had been updated in ages due to the 2004 models that are listed on there. I will keep my eye out for the planet-x sales

Steve

yogi

You could try ebay. I bought a Ridley Crosswind with carbon forks, aheadset and bottom bracket for £70.

Timing was part of the key to the low price as it was at the end of the season, so not may bidders. I basically manged to put a bike together for less than £300 using a mixture of old MTB parts from my garage, secondhand stuff and some new parts. The most expensive component was the STi levers; 105 at £90 new.

It's quite a good experience sourcing parts and then building up your machine just how you want it. I now have a bike that would cost around a grand new. Good luck with your project.

Dave5N

Über Member
Steve: Is this too big?

Van Tuyl VT 340, black,
top tube c - c 56 cm,
seat tube c- t 57 cm
carbon forks
Mavic aksium race rims, only 3 races old,
Michelin muds 2, only 3 races old, + a pair of green muds,
Shimano ultegra group, a little old but works fine.
Fitted V brakes, work better than frog legs. Have got frog leg brakes and will go with bike.
A nice tidy bike.
£325 ono.
Tel Alan......07896 977192 Tamworth

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Yup saw that on the wmccl forum aswell but it is too big. My giant has a seat tube of 55 and a 55cm top tube and that is just about the right size if not a tiny bit too big.

Steve

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Right I am going to try and make a list for EVERYTHING I would need with prices. Some prices I will be left blank as don't know them. And feel free to make a recomendation for any of the parts.

Frame = around 130
Fork = around 100
Bottom Bracket = 11
Headset = ?
Bars = hopefully free
Stem = hopefully free
Saddle = hopefully free
Seatpost = hopefully free
Wheels = Askiums - 125
Cassette = sram - 24
Chain = 15
Tyres = 50
Rear Mech = 30
Chainset = 50
Brake leavers (one sora one just a brake) = around 60?
Brakes = 35
Cables = 20
Pedals = 20

Total = 670
man that looks like a lot when you write out a list:ohmy:

Steve

jpembroke

So, you just planning to run a single chain ring up front then? (you only want one STi)

Everyone's got spare parts in their shed; worth asking around. You could probably loads of that stuff (bars, stem, saddle, seatpost etc) pretty cheap if you're not too fussy.

Frame: Planet X Uncle John (£125)

Forks: Planet X (£128 - bit pricey so worth haggling or looking elsewhere)

Wheels: I'd go with Aksiums - cheap and strong. I've raced on them for two seasons (same pair) and they've been great.

Brakes: It's worth going for wide profile cantis for the added mud clearance (Tektro CR520 or Frogglegs (see Zepnat.com)

Chainset: If you do decide on a double chainset, I recommend my Stronglight Impact 48/34. It's a bit 'old skool' (i.e. it uses a square taper BB) but it's very well made, light, and can be bought from Ribblecycles for £48. Bargain! The BB will only set you back about £12.

Shifters: I'd go with Tiagra. Better than Sora and 9 speed, too.

Mechs: Sora or Tiagra. Not much difference really. Old 105 is better.

Cassette: Get a cheap SRAM 11-28 MTB cassette - all the gears you'll ever need.

Top Bottom