How much did you (or would you) spend on your binoculars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kynikos

Veteran
With one eye that's pretty useless I have an Opticron 8x42 BGA monocular ~ £140 IIRC - and very good it is too!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
When I was 17 (so rather a long time ago) my parents bought me some Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 10x50 on the recommendation of the manager of our local RSPB reserve, Leighton Moss. I think they were £70 and I still have them. Sturdy East German technology

I now use Swarovski which are fancier and much more expensive. But I do still like the Jenoptems

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 dropped her bins and the plate that holds one of the objective tubes to the main body was distorted so very out of line. I took it apart and tapped gently at the plate to straighten it and I think did a half decent job. But eyes are a set of sensitive sensors and there is still a very small misalignment which is quite off putting. I have tried to source a new plate without success in the past. They were a very good set of bins so would ideally like to get them professionally sorted. Anyone know of such a service? There's a birding optics outlet near here which may be able to assist but as far as I can tell it's never open, I have tried to walk in several times. So maybe my next step is to attempt an internet connection (or that old fangled telephonetickery). :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Mrs 26 dropped her bins and the plate that holds one of the objective tubes to the main body was distorted so very out of line. I took it apart and tapped gently at the plate to straighten it and I think did a half decent job. But eyes are a set of sensitive sensors and there is still a very small misalignment which is quite off putting. I have tried to source a new plate without success in the past. They were a very good set of bins so would ideally like to get them professionally sorted. Anyone know of such a service? There's a birding optics outlet near here which may be able to assist but as far as I can tell it's never open, I have tried to walk in several times. So maybe my next step is to attempt an internet connection (or that old fangled telephonetickery). :smile:
Send the RSPB an email. There must be loads of birdwatchers who have dropped their binoculars so they probably know people who repair them.

Proto

Legendary Member
Wanted a pair of binoculars for wildlife and birding. After reasearching and reading reviews, I ended up buying some 8 x 42 Hawke Endurance ED binoculars, lower/middle of their product range, cost me something like £240 from London Camera Exchange in Bristol. Very pleased with them.

Hawk are a British brand but I understand, like many other brands, their binoculars are made in China. I was assured that Hawk service and support I’d second to none, and that’s what sold them to me. Not had to test that out yet!

Last edited:

sheddy

Legendary Member
While we’re at it - any recommendations for a handheld monocular ?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I know I bang on about army surplus but again you can't go wrong with ex military binos. Great quality for obvious reasons and cheap at military fairs. WWII German binos are excellent if you can find any.

Top Bottom