How much did your end to end cost you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
For me, part of the benefit of camping is that you can stop almost anywhere. There are lots of certified camp sites dotted about (join the camping and caravanning club to find out where they are), and plenty of other places to camp. You don't have to press on to the next town if you don't feel like it.

If you use B&Bs, or have a van carry your stuff, or travel with a group, you have to stop at the scheduled stops, whether you want to or not. Some days you might want to do a short day, because you want to visit something or you're off-colour; other days you feel strong and want to keep going.

Camp and you have the freedom to stop when/where you want.

I'd always be inclined to be as independent as possible. Given that you've presumably spent quite a lot of money on camping and touring kit, it seems a shame not to use it on something like an end to end.

U

User482

Your touring bike & kit needn't be an expense - buy it all second hand then flog it afterwards if you're not going to use it again. All it'll cost you then is a few quid in postage.

User482 said:
Your touring bike & kit needn't be an expense - buy it all second hand then flog it afterwards if you're not going to use it again. All it'll cost you then is a few quid in postage.

This is true, it's just that I remember BOAB saying he'd bought a tourer and all the panniers and what not. Given this, it seems a shame to leave it all at home while he goes off, er, touring. ;)

U

User482

Rhythm Thief said:
This is true, it's just that I remember BOAB saying he'd bought a tourer and all the panniers and what not. Given this, it seems a shame to leave it all at home while he goes off, er, touring. :ohmy:

Didn't spot that! Still, as a general point...

Bigtallfatbloke

...sorry for being an arse fellas...just to be clear...BOAB is in fact BTFB on a skinnier bike...yes I have all the kit...it's just that if there is a van I may as well throw it all in there and tke the bianchi for a faster ride...having said all that though I reckon the galaxy makes more sense as I'll still need to carry it to get there and back..and riding the bianchi with all that kit in a rucksack...erm.non starter..

wafflycat

Haven't done LeJoG myself (want to do it...) but a couple locally has and IIRC, they took a couple of weeks to do it - perhaps a bit more but not the full three weeks. The hardest bit was the west country bit at the start due to the hills. They did B&B, and did the route in an enjoyable leisurely pace - if they wanted to linger somewhere, they did. If they didn't like a place, they'd push on. I *think* their total costs were about £1600.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
User3143 said:
Very true, was a very sweet feeling when I rolled into JOG. Knowing that I had done the whole ride on my jack jones without any support.

I've done a couple of coast to coast crossing that were supported in that all the camping gear was carried in a camper van ahead of the cyclists. It was OK but a bit too organised - there wasn't the frisson of 'where will I end up today?' Because I knew every stopping point and overnight stay location from the outset.

U

User482

I prefer to know where I'm staying each night as I like to have a target mileage for the day. I found that 12 days for Lejog gave enough time to admire the view, but did mean sticking to more main roads than I would like. If I do it again, I'll take another week and do it all on back roads.

Regarding costs, I stayed in youth hostels, bunk houses and the odd B&B. If you are doing the route with a friend it keeps the cost right down as you can share a room in a B&B - much nicer than a YHA in my experience. I also find independent bunk houses and hostels to be nicer and cheaper than YHAs. You also need to spend a fair bit on food - I couldn't believe how much I ate!

Joe

Über Member
I'm also planning a LEJOG on the cheap this summer. I have 4 weeks off from uni and a touring bike I've never toured on! I'm thinking of doing Brighton-LE, LEJOG, JOG-Brighton. I'm thinking it will be more satisfying this way as I hate travelling by train to or from a bike ride, it just doesn't feel right!
No advice to give or anything but I'll keep an eye on this thread for ideas and inspiration.
I envisage reasonably high mileages (>100 miles a day) and camping but without too much of an itinery. Bad idea?

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Hi Joe,
I hav efamily in Brighton (=good kick off point) and had a similar route in mind...well just a initial idea really no firm plans...

For me 100 miles a day with a full camping load would be a big ask...100km -130km is more my thing assuming decent weather. But then my guess is I'm twice your age and as such I reckon I have an excuse...feeble...but an excuse nevertheless!
Having said that I am fitter now than I was this time last year...

My experiences of UK campsites has been mixed...to be honest I found most fully booked and I was even refused acess to one as it was full. After 100 mile ride in the rain you will want to be SURE of a bed for the night...I'd book them in advnace but leave no deposits...or at least call ahead the night before, especially the coastal ones and especially the larger caravan parks.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
100 miles a day with camping gear is going to be challenging. I've done it, but only once or twice, and never on the first few days of a tour.

The campsites which advertise and are marked on maps do get booked solid in the summer. If you join the Camping and Caravanning Club, you gain access to hundreds of small sites tucked away on farms and smallholdings as well as the more commercial outfits. It is a bit pricey to join but it's worth it for access to these "certified" sites.

There are lots of them, they are distributed a bit more evenly around the country including some in non-holiday areas, owners are usually more friendly and more willing to help without fleecing you for the priveledge, and you're not paying for loads of facilities you might not need or want (restuarants, evening "entertainment", kiddies' playgrounds etc). Typically they are fields on small farms. Facilities are the outside loo and shower provided originally for dairymen or farm workers (and maybe still also in use for that purpose). Some are also caravan sites, so have "proper facilities".

I wrote about one I liked here.

hubbike

I did it in 9 days. Paid about between 5 and 10 quid each day on food just ate chocolate biscuits continuously during the day and had a big pub dinner each night. mostly camped wild for free. Best free campsite was the beer garden of a pub, close proximity to beer, food, and could have a bit of a wash in the gents.

Paid for two or three b&b's which were never more than 20 or 30 quid. but I did it in March and you wouldn't need to bother in june or july. unless you wanted a shower.

I got a direct train from Edinburgh to Penzance for 50 quid. and a train back from Wick to Edinburgh for about 25 quid.

I think if you camped wild and ate only Lidl food you could do the whole trip for £150ish.

hubbike

also I'd add that 100 miles in a day is very reasonable for almost anyone. average 10mph from 8am to 7pm. and have an hour off for breaks.

IMO the adventure of it comes from just heading off with a vague route in mind but no fixed plans. just follow the road signs if you get lost!

seano

If you followed my route www.seanoreilly.4t.com even to-day B&B's and IYH are not that expensive. A good breakfast is very important even to the point of scoffing
everything on offer. I stayed in some wonderful towns where the fish and chip and a pint provided cheap and excellent diet to replenish the days energy cheaply. So the daily cost of about £35 - £40 whould probaly be ok. So £ 500 plus Air fare £100 and trains £50. You possibly could budget at £700. If your using plastic forget about the cost it's a memorable trip and worth every penny/cent.

Top Bottom