How much do you need to spend on a new bike to get best VfM?

How much do you need to spend to get the best bang for bucks on a new bike?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As per the title. What do you need to spend before the law of diminishing returns really kicks in? And what brands, retailers or manufactures do you think offer that?

I thought this would make a good discussion after seeing a GCN video on YouTube about this subject.

Even allowing for the context of the whole question being profoundly subjective, I suspect that many people will think that the upper bound is too low. i.e. there are plenty of bike features which many consider good value for money which aren't available at your upper limit of £1,200

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sure it’s subjective, that’s the reason I’m asking the question. Okay, so what would be your figure to get best VfM? I’ve given a few more choices.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Let’s say it’s aimed more towards someone starting out. These are the buyers who are more concerned with getting the best value without going overboard.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I honestly don't think there's a definitive answer.
Some people I know think a value for money bike is no more than £100.
Others wouldn't even look at bikes at less then a grand.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Not long ago I would have said around £1,000 would get a decent quality bike with good components but the way everything has shot up, around £1,500 seems to be the ballpark for decent frame with 105 components which I reckon is the sweet spot, but it's so subjective what everyone finds good value or not really.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Skippy's not been here yet - free from a skip he'd say.

My most recent purchase I didn't pay full RRP, but that was before 'the madness'. :laugh:

'Names' are silly money. Even Ribble is getting into silly money these days.

I still fancy a PX Space Chicken.

Let’s say it’s aimed more towards someone starting out. These are the buyers who are more concerned with getting the best value without going overboard.
Thats a bit more focussed. Lets add its for a short commute <5 miles 5 x a week which was my first one. £200-250 would have been my answer but I think with prices as they are now its closer to £350 to get something that will last. I'd expect at least 2 years / 2500ish miles before having to replace major components.

Its all subjective though isn't:okay:My last commuter was £1000 which I've had more than 5000 miles from and only recently spent £350ish on service/rebuild. Thats VFM to me but everyone is different:blush:

They reviewed that bike on the Gadget Show last night and it did very well.
I spotted that and discounted it for the twist-shift and single sprocket but if it's reviewed well then I guess its better than I thought.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom