How much do you need to spend on a new bike to get best VfM?

How much do you need to spend to get the best bang for bucks on a new bike?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
impossible to answer, Im afraid
Yes - I know that's not helpful but it really needs to be more specific, I think - anyway. I think how much do you need to spend for X is one thing and the bag for buck feeling is a bit different isn't it? Maybe I am not understanding it very well. Let me have a think and come back to you. Did that help?

Last edited:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
They reviewed that bike on the Gadget Show last night and it did very well.
I was willing Otis to beat them riding SS on the climb challenge. The Halfords jobbie looks pretty 'robust'

Not bought a new bike since 2001!
Although only a Trek 800 Sport, it was a nice piece of Taiwanese steel! Dread to think what that would cost now. £299.

matticus

Guru
impossible to answer, Im afraid
Yes - I know that's not helpful but it really needs to be more specific, I think - anyway. I think how much do you need to spend for X is one thing and the bag for buck feeling is a bit different isn't it? Maybe I am not understanding it very well. Let me have a think and come back to you. Did that help?
I'm not sure. It depends on your criteria.

Maybe I'll run a Poll? CycleChatters always have some useful answers!

x

presta

Guru
When I got into touring I was looking for a touring bike that was as cheap as possible whilst being as future-proof as possible, to hedge against the possibilities of either losing interest or getting bitten by the bug.

Out of date prices, but in Feb 2001 I paid £465 for my Horizon. That's £500 ticket price, less 10% because it was a 2000 model, plus £15 because they changed the bars. It had bar end shifters unlike a Claud Butler (Dalesman?) I saw for ~£380, and it had the same frame as the Galaxy which was £650. Since then I've replaced all the components with better ones as they wore out, so I now have a better bike than a Galaxy. At 21 years old it still seems reasonably future-proof.

If I'd just been looking for something like a shopping bike, or to ride around the local park, I'd probably have spent a lot less.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The best value for money bike is the cheapest one that gives you significant pleasure. Well, something like that.

My CAAD5 cost me £2,000 about 20 years ago so that would be more like £3,000 in today's money. I really like the bike.

My singlespeed bike was cobbled together from old bits and a few new ones. It cost me about £80. I have spent another £50-60 on it over the years. I really like that bike too.

The CAAD5 is a better bike but the singlespeed bike was around ten times better value for money!

roadrash

cycle chatterer
I agree with above, if someone buys a bike and enjoys using it then it it doesnt matter if it was cheap or expensive.
i seem to see a few threads being started with the poster asking for other peoples oppinions but neglecting to offer their own as a starting point, i find that strange but maybe thats just me.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Cheap things can still give you a lot of pleasure

mustang1

Legendary Member
I was horrified at the prices of some bikes in bike shop !
I will stick with my old bikes which cost far less and can be easily repaired using second hand bits .
That's nothing. Come back to us in 10 years for even bigger shocks (or the way I like to see it: kicks and giggles).

I voted for £350 because you can a quality flat bar bike for that price. But I would spend a lot more than that to get a lighter bike road bike, perhaps 1000-1500.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Cheap things can still give you a lot of pleasure
I won't go there :whistle:

As others have said completely subjective but as personal subjective opinions have been asked for.....

My Rockhopper was £600 new and my first proper bike if you will, used for commuting. Had everything I wanted and still does, more than paid for itself when considering the cost of busses and trains therefore VFM in that respect.
Like wise with my £400 Felt Z100 when I wanted a faster commuting bike.
Last year I bought a second hand Cube Attain for £1200. 105, hydro brakes, carbon frame. It's a hobby bike used for fun rides and for me the perfect vfm for a 'nicer' groupset etc
Currently looking at gravel bikes with hydros, 105 minimum spec at the 2k mark which I feel gives value for money for my needs.
For me I guess vfm falls in between all those price points and have found as I have stayed interested in my cycling hobby that price point has been raised to accommodate my growing wants/needs.
My regular cycling buddy loves wireless shifting, light as possible and is a specialized fanboy and has several 8k to 11k bikes which he feels are the perfect vfm for his needs.
My neighbour rides a £120 bso to work everyday and feels I'm daft spending so much on my bikes but appreciates it's my hobby and my bikes are nice. Each to their own.

Speaking generally I would imagine most people would be happy with a £300 ish, decent bike that gets occasional use but again lots of people on here riding years old bikes that they maintain and love.
Too many variables maybe to make fully informed comments about this but interesting to see everyone's opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom