How much does your council charge for green bin (garden waste) ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Our charge is £39 per bin but £42 if I do it over the phone. Last year thier Web site wasn't working so I had to phone up and they STILL charged me £42. I argued like crazy but they wouldn't budge.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Ours is still free at the moment, although I'm expecting them to start charging in the new year or so. Collections are also all year round, I know most of the charging councils do something like March-November? By the way, our bin is brown, green is for standard everyday waste.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
This made me look it up.
It’s £65 or £60 by direct debit. That’s a lot more than I thought.
That’s for 26 collections a year, it’s only every other week. So more than £2 per collection.
It does seem like a total rip off but we do use it a fair bit.

Dadam

Ours are free (well, charged in with normal collections), collected every fortnight. Stops for winter (think it's November-March as Sterlo says).
Brown bins, green are recycling and black is normal waste.

£39 per bin is ridiculous! I wouldn't pay that, I'd just have a very large compost heap! :biggrin:

£45 last time I checked. I don't use it, I bought a composter at a reduced rate from them when I moved in. Its yet to produce any useable compost but I've been able to get rid of all garden waste in it.

All uphill

Still rolling along
We have two composters and two compost heaps. They produce masses of lovely compost.

Very reluctantly we are moving to a compost wheeliebin for £65 a year to reduce the digging I have to do as arthritis progresses.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
£58 here in Hamtun. Up from £56 last year.
That's for 25 collections (fortnightly, but no collection the week after Christmas last year.)

Alex321

Veteran
Ours started charging last year.

It is £20 per year for up to 8 bags per fortnight - these are large green canvas bags, reuseable, which they empty into the truck and return.

If you don't want to pay that, you can take it yourself to the main council recycling centers for free (ours is 7 miles away, so not too great a cost in diesel, we take it up when we have a car full).

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
£52 in Plymouth. We probably won't use it this year in our new home, as once we've had a thorough weeding session in the garden, we probably won't use it very much. We'll take it to the recycling centre in bags. For the rest of the year we only have a 3mx3m patch of lawn

Top Bottom