How much does your council charge for green bin (garden waste) ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Our brown bin permit (garden waste) is £50, with a collection every week. If you don’t use it for garden waste but only food waste then it’s free.

Yes, they check.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
It used to be free in Sheffield, but they've charged for it in the last few years.
This year it's £63.30 for 19 collections (March to November).
I won't pay it. I bag my waste and drive to the recycling centre to get rid of it - about 2.5 miles each way.

Jody

Stubborn git
Free but a second bin is £40 a year (if your garden is large enough)

The two neighbouring authorities charge about £40 a year

Jenkins

Legendary Member
£52.50 per year for East Suffolk Council, plus £12.50 for any new green bin deliveries.
Or free if you can hide a black sack of garden waste under everything else in the regular non-recycling bin.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have 3 gardens (front, side and back) with lots of bushes plus lawns so have no real choice but to pay for collection.
With all councils being short of money I am surprised to see that some still don't charge.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
£98 for 2 bins pa. Consider that my entire Local Authority Council Tax charge is £250pa and the latter is good value, the former not so much.

icowden

Veteran
Last year it was £60 which was a £20 increase from the previous year. This year it's £65.

What annoys me most is that there is no anticipation of seasonal variation. I'd suggest once monthly collections in Nov / Dec / August / Jan and then weekly collections in October, March and April for example.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Free but a second bin is £40 a year (if your garden is large enough)

The two neighbouring authorities charge about £40 a year
Interestingly, I asked about a second one a couple of years ago but was told no in no uncertain terms. We fill ours with a single lawn cut so can only do it once a fortnight.

ours is £40 a year for 1 bin

I didn;t use it for a while and totally didn;t just lob the grass and bush clipping over the back fence into the woods!

But now I pay up - collected the same week as the recycling bins - stops about November and restarts late March

When I first moved in it was free - been charging for about 7-8 years

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Interestingly, I asked about a second one a couple of years ago but was told no in no uncertain terms. We fill ours with a single lawn cut so can only do it once a fortnight.

I can get a second bin, I think for £25. I then have to pay another £39 a year for the sticker.

Jody

Stubborn git

I could easily fill 2 for the duration of collections but luckily our neighbour isn't into gardening that much and let me fill theirs as I take their bins out every week.

Dadam

Our charge is £39 per bin but £42 if I do it over the phone. Last year thier Web site wasn't working so I had to phone up and they STILL charged me £42. I argued like crazy but they wouldn't budge.

£39 per bin is ridiculous! I wouldn't pay that, I'd just have a very large compost heap! :biggrin:

Oh, re-reading I'm guessing this is per bin, per year. However many collections that is. I'd originally read it as £39 per bin collection! :shy:

Top Bottom