How much extra can a lbs charge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nigelb

Hi

Think I'll be buying a Dawes Tanami shortly, lbs (who were very helpful) want £449.99, its available online for £335 inc delivery.

I appreciate the lbs help, don't mind paying for it, but £114 (that's a 30% surcharge for buying it locally, and they don't have it in stock).

Nige

Why not be honest? Tell them that you want to support them, but show them what the bike is available for online. Ask them what their best price is and see what they come up with.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
My LBS (Now closed) told me they could not match Evans and the like on price for major names. They just could not carry the amount of stock needed to get the same discounts.
You could try telling them how much you could get it for on line and see if they can do you a deal with free servicing or similar thrown in.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It's not the LBS's fault really - they have to pay rent for the shop and Business Rates on top of that - that's easily up to £20k a year before they have sold anything! Add on the wages for the knowledgeable shop assistant and the fact that they are selling lower numbers of the bike and that's your difference.

I don't mind buying off the internet as I do all my own maintenance.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
one of my lbs' reckons that he makes more money from servicing than from sales. when i've told him i can get xx cheaper online, he usually just advises me to do so, even though he knows i can do most of my own mechanics these days.

kettle

http://www.ashcycles.com/web/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1546&language=en

294.99 delivered

Prices are easier to understand in a Turkish market.

sheddy said:
have you offered them cash ?

We make very little selling tricycles at the RRP and would make nothing if we discounted. You can buy Mission stuff much cheaper off the internet, but they aren't around when it needs servicing.

And a lot of these internet places are just and office and website, they make a sale and get the importer/distributor to send the box out direct.

thomas

the tank engine
Hilldodger said:
And a lot of these internet places are just and office and website, they make a sale and get the importer/distributor to send the box out direct.

Drop shipping is quite a common way for e-commerce websites to work. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you get it quickly and pay a good price.

thomas said:
Drop shipping is quite a common way for e-commerce websites to work. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you get it quickly and pay a good price.

Yep, but these places are putting the squeeze on LBS and where will people go to get their bikes fixed if they close?

Running a bike shop isn't going to make anyone rich and very, very few make much of a profit.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I think its quite funny that the OP states the LBS are charging extra, when in reality they are just charging RRP.

I buy everything at the best price i can afford, wherever i can get it, and i can't afford to pay RRP on many parts.

I make a point of spending a proportion of my yearly cycling budget in my local bike shop - I go often enough that I am known by sight - and as a regular customer I have got some very good deals on bits and pieces - also they will sometimes do the odd things as a favour - notwithstanding that - being able to purchase on the web gives me access to a much greater choice than my lbs is able to stock

Norm

psmiffy said:
I make a point of spending a proportion of my yearly cycling budget in my local bike shop - I go often enough that I am known by sight - and as a regular customer I have got some very good deals on bits and pieces - also they will sometimes do the odd things as a favour - notwithstanding that - being able to purchase on the web gives me access to a much greater choice than my lbs is able to stock
This.

I've had a fair few favours from my LBS and, better still, they have proved competitive on pricing too. :tongue:

Top Bottom