How much faster would "x" make me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Machin

Machin

Regular
How about adding titanium bikes to the list

Yes thanks, and I guess steel bikes too.

OP
OP
Machin

Machin

Regular
TBH, I doubt if frame material makes any difference whatsoever. Might be better to add a list of all-up bike weights, like 6-8kg, 8-10kg, etc...
At the moment, when you select one of the bikes it changes two things: the weight and (where applicable) the drag coefficient. If I was going to add other frame materials it would only change the weight. Your suggestion to change materials on the drop down to kg bands instead (plus I'd add a frame style, e.g. 8-10kg road bike, 6-8kg road bike, 6-8 kg TT bike, etc) is a good one. I'll look at changing that for the next update in the mean time......

....I've done a few other updates:-

Miles ?
Feet ?
Sorry - all my riding is metric.

Now updated so that you can choose metric or imperial for distance, ascent, height and weight.

I've also increased the number of options to describe your original ride... this means that if you were already using aero rim wheels for example it will no longer say you could be 30 seconds quicker if you fitted them (it will return a 0 seconds results instead).

Happy riding!

gds58

Über Member
This is brilliant, I like it. I work in a high end bike shop and we often get asked when, for example, a customer is looking at deep section aero carbon wheels, questions like "How much difference are these going to make" and this applies to other component changes as well. It's an almost impossible question to answer accurately but in future I may well point them in the direction of your site so that they can get a more calculated answer! other than my stock answer which is "In good conditions you should notice a significant advantage"
Many thanks, I'll definitely bookmark this one!

Graham

gds58

Über Member
If someone really has to ask a question like that, then the honest answer is usually going to be "not much"...
I don't agree with that comment. How can that possibly be the 'honest' answer! These sort of questions are usually asked in conjunction with lots of others in order that the customer can justify spending upwards of a £1000 on a wheelset. There are many other variables in this which is why I qualify my answer with 'in good conditions etc' I don't know what your racing experience is like but mine is extensive (http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/time-trial-pbs.139591/page-3) and I can assure you that a 30 second gain in a 25 mile time trial is 'significant' and could be the difference between 1st or 10th place so the 'honest' answer clearly isn't 'not much'. In any case I only used aero wheels as an example, if I was asked about a super-lightweight seatpost for example, then my answer might well be 'not much'

subaqua

What’s the point
Eddy Mercx had it nailed .

don't buy upgrades, ride up grades .

OP
OP
Machin

Machin

Regular
Good fun, but I don't see an option for "no helmet" or "cap" [worn back to front]. I would be very interested in the calculations for this scenario having discussed the subject on many occasions with those in the TT world.
I wondered when someone would ask this! I've shied away from looking into this before because if it turns out to be quicker to wear a cap backwards (rather than a helmet) I don't want to advocate such antics! I've added a couple of extra scenarios regarding different Bottom Bracket upgrades... in that scenario the difference really is "not much", regardless of whether you're a pro chasing a time or a commuter!

I don't agree with that comment. How can that possibly be the 'honest' answer! These sort of questions are usually asked in conjunction with lots of others in order that the customer can justify spending upwards of a £1000 on a wheelset. There are many other variables in this which is why I qualify my answer with 'in good conditions etc' I don't know what your racing experience is like but mine is extensive (http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/time-trial-pbs.139591/page-3) and I can assure you that a 30 second gain in a 25 mile time trial is 'significant' and could be the difference between 1st or 10th place so the 'honest' answer clearly isn't 'not much'. In any case I only used aero wheels as an example, if I was asked about a super-lightweight seatpost for example, then my answer might well be 'not much'

Depends what you're doing, I guess. Time gains in a flat TT would be useful, but aero makes next to no difference unless you are in clean air. It's also pretty irrelevant going uphill. So without knowing more about who is asking the question on 'how much difference they will make', then the honest answer is probably still "not much"...

I wondered when someone would ask this! I've shied away from looking into this before because if it turns out to be quicker to wear a cap backwards (rather than a helmet) I don't want to advocate such antics! I've added a couple of extra scenarios regarding different Bottom Bracket upgrades... in that scenario the difference really is "not much", regardless of whether you're a pro chasing a time or a commuter!
Oh dear, and you were doing so well...

gds58

Über Member
Depends what you're doing, I guess. Time gains in a flat TT would be useful, but aero makes next to no difference unless you are in clean air. It's also pretty irrelevant going uphill. So without knowing more about who is asking the question on 'how much difference they will make', then the honest answer is probably still "not much"...
With the greatest of respect you seem to be using terminology that you know little about, such as 'clean air'. This is a term often used in motor racing and is generally the un-interrupted air in front of a vehicle which has not been disturbed and deflected by another vehicle. For a vast majority of the time bikes will be riding in 'clean air' albeit approaching from varying angles. Modern aero wheel technology is such that they are designed to work (sometimes even better) in varying approach angles of air, thereby giving an advantage in all but the most blustery conditions. These are not my opinions but those of experts and I have done a lot of research into bicycle aerodynamics. Also, as you rightly say, without knowing more about the person asking the questions you cannot give an honest answer, so your response of 'not much' will in most cases be wrong.
One thing is for certain though Dusty Bin, you'll never make a good salesman!

With the greatest of respect you seem to be using terminology that you know little about, such as 'clean air'. This is a term often used in motor racing and is generally the un-interrupted air in front of a vehicle which has not been disturbed and deflected by another vehicle. For a vast majority of the time bikes will be riding in 'clean air' albeit approaching from varying angles. Modern aero wheel technology is such that they are designed to work (sometimes even better) in varying approach angles of air, thereby giving an advantage in all but the most blustery conditions. These are not my opinions but those of experts and I have done a lot of research into bicycle aerodynamics. Also, as you rightly say, without knowing more about the person asking the questions you cannot give an honest answer, so your response of 'not much' will in most cases be wrong.
One thing is for certain though Dusty Bin, you'll never make a good salesman!

'Clean air' is a perfectly valid term, providing you understand what is meant by it. In a solo TT, you will be in clean air. In a bunch race, you won't be - unless you are either off the front, or off the back. And if you are off the back, then it doesn't matter anyway.

gds58

Über Member
'Clean air' is a perfectly valid term, providing you understand what is meant by it. In a solo TT, you will be in clean air. In a bunch race, you won't be - unless you are either off the front, or off the back. And if you are off the back, then it doesn't matter anyway.

Oops wrong again! Specialized have done extensive aerodynamic testing in conjunction with McLaren and it has been consistently shown that when riding in a bunch you are actually in 'cleaner' air than when at the front or in a solo TT. The 'dirty' air is channelled around the bunch and is at the back. In a bunch you are however still moving air out of the way, so good aerodynamics are still important as they conserve energy for the latter stages or climbs etc when that saved energy will be most useful. Why do you think that all the Pro's will use deep section aero wheels in anything but the hilliest of races.
I'm sure you would find the recent articles produced by Specialized very informative and enlightening, might I suggest you read them before arguing with those who have! So, I stand by all that I have said previously. I didn't win five consecutive National Championships without understanding a bit about good aerodynamics, but thanks for your input.

Top Bottom