How much for your sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I quite enjoy a Sportive, as do lots of others (although apparently not too many on here?)

I've done 3 so far this year, with a 4th booked and paid for next month. I'll have done the full UKCE / Wiggle series local to me (Vale Vélo, Yorkshire Tour and Ay Up!) along with Vélo29's York-Leeds-York ride by the end of the season. This is the third year I've done at least some of those rides.
It's a chance to cycle with a few friends, and other cyclists, you don't have to worry about directions, mechanicals or finding a decent café.
Yes, there are always a few Team Sky wannabees and a handful of club riders who think they're tackling the Tour de Yorkshire, but they're a minor inconvenience and usually tear away at the start so don't really have any impact on everyone else. Until you pass them fixing their 3rd puncture in their super lightweight racing tyres.

The official price of the UKCE Wiggle rides is £40, but there is almost always a discount available for booking early (on the day booking carries a 20% surcharge, if places are available) and you get a few freebies thrown in. The feed stations are good with a selection of food, gels, bars, etc and drinks / water although the Vélo29 event ones are better as they include more savoury stuff including some excellent pork pies and last time they provided a beer at the end too!

The Wiggle events also include the following:
  • Facilities and parking
  • Mechanical support (this was excellent when a mate needed it)
  • Medical support
  • Full route marking
  • Rider public liability insurance
  • Feed Stops
  • Energy food and drink
  • Electronic chip timing
  • Web results service
  • Online certificates
  • Finisher gift (this years events have included some excellent cycling socks, which are better than any socks I've ever paid for including Castelli)
  • Finisher medal
  • On site catering
  • Pick-up wagons
  • Bike wash facilities
  • Photos by SportivePhoto
  • Six Physio Massage@Events
Ultimately you pay your money and make your choice. I could cycle all these routes for free any day of the year, but it gets me off the usual routes around home and further afield on generally quiet roads and lanes I'd not normally ride on. I also like to take part in an occasional event with a social side as most of my cycling is solo (through choice).

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Most English sportives I've seen don't close roads or insure riders, less than half have tag or chip systems and some use volunteers instead of paid help (which I find inexplicable for the non-charity ones - why would you work for a commercial operation for free?). I'd be a lot less critical of the price if they actually had such understandable costs.

I agree, I do get the impression that some 'sportive' organisers are extracting the urine.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

bruce1530

Guru
I’ve done 2 organised events this year - the "Stra’ven 50” 50-miler was 20 quid, and included 2 excellent cake stops, and another at the finish. About 500 riders.

The “Ayrshire Explorer” 100k was £10. En-Route food was simply a recommendation for a couple of good cafes near the half way point, and cakes, sandwiches and drinks at the finish. About 50 participants.

Both were great events.

Scarily £40 is about mid range of the sportives I've done. The closed roads one are insanely popular and can be circa £80. I prefer the continental sportives you seem to get a lot more for your money; better feed stops, more marshals and something more tangible momento wise is the norm.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Pretty much switched to audax rides these days. Much cheaper.

However. . Mrs kes and I have signed up for the coast to coast in a day event (her first time, my fourth). £80 quid a pop, but the organisation and feedstops are top notch...

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I don't pay for sportives anymore, But i have been trying to find out the propertion they give to the charities they support. I messaged UK Cycling events, but have not had a proper reply. They use a lot of volanteers.

charity.JPG

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Of course, the thing with sportives is that they always have the route on their website, generally freely available to download.
And as they're on open roads you can just turn up and ride if you're that way inclined - you'll miss out on the medal at the end though.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Of course, the thing with sportives is that they always have the route on their website, generally freely available to download.
And as they're on open roads you can just turn up and ride if you're that way inclined - you'll miss out on the medal at the end though.

Yeah and that all important chip timing.

cld531c

However. . Mrs kes and I have signed up for the coast to coast in a day event (her first time, my fourth). £80 quid a pop, but the organisation and feedstops are top notch...

Me too (first time). Any tips?

cld531c

Thanks Vickster - was after any tips for that ride in particular. Ive done a few Audaxes and planning Scouting Mam Tor (weather permitting) next week as a kick up the bum. Looking on the C2C facebook page there does however appear to be a few very brave souls who have signed up and don't appear to have done much, if any, riding!!! All I can think of is Hardknott and 14,000ft+ of climbing

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

I would imagine you can do your own top notch food stops for £160, now where's that Bollinger?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Me too (first time). Any tips?
It's a cracking ride....but rather hard. Try and pace yourself because the section after the last feedstation is brutal. Hills you'd normally not really worry about become cliffs, and they come thick and fast on that last section.

On a good note the last 5 miles are all downhill.

Biggest tip is to remember to enjoy it. Don't spend the whole ride head down, bum up looking down at the wheel. You're riding across some of the most beautiful countryside in the world in the company of 1000 other idiots.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Funny, I was also young to suggest Audax events over sportives but loads have said it already.

Supposedly Audax is a bunch of people claiming it’s very chilled and no one is out to race. However there’s an argy bargy over on a local FB Audax group where someone has started bleating about wheel sucking. I believe started by some ex-sportive person on a 100km. ;)

I’m not on FB so I can’t verify this. I’ve just been told about it.

Top Bottom