How much is this bike worth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycleman

This seller has put a reserve on this bike. He has relisted it about 5 or 6 times but he's not even getting his reserve price, and seems pretty stubborn about what he thinks its worth.

Attachments

• FOCUS MARES.doc
    361.5 KB · Views: 106

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's only worth what buyers are prepared to pay for it. If he's not getting the reserve price then it would suggest that he's expecting too much.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
There is often a gap between what people think a bike is worth and what people are willing/want/able to afford to pay for it. I find myself in this situation myself at the moment and have done so previously.
What you need to realise is that bikes are sold for a number of reasons and not all of them surround a need for money.

Take the 2012 S-Works Venge I have for sale at the moment, If you went to build that very bike today you could not do it for under 9k and it cost me more than that, so I'm asking 5k for it... I feel someone saving 4k is a reasonable amount and a big enough hit for me to take to my wallet.
Other people though seem to think its worth a 2010 Boardman Comp and a grand, An old Vauxhall Vectra SRi or noticably less than I am asking.
I'm not bitching about it, or suggesting they are wrong, but I have no real need to sell the bike... If nobody wants a great spec bike at what I consider to be reasonably priced. I will keep it and when my new Venge is finished I will have a choice of S-Works Venges to ride.

I'm not going to budge on my price for the bike (will break it if anyone wants the frame set though), it was priced at the minimum I would want to take for it, so I don't have a need to negotiate and I think its fair enough that the owner of that bike feels the same way.

IMHO sounds like your interested in the bike, but do not want to pay the asking price, if that's the case walk away.

Last edited:

Mr Haematocrit

Bike's only sell for what people are willing to pay for them, however I don't think this directly relates to worth.

There are a certain percentage of people who just want a bargain and I have seen people buy stuff to resell it.
There is also a percentage of people who have champagne idea's and lemonade pockets.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've no idea. I often see people try to sell cars for ridiculous money though. As if they've just pulled a number out of a hat instead of consulting Glass's guide or seeing what similar models are going for.

Mr Haematocrit

This seller has put a reserve on this bike. He has relisted it about 5 or 6 times but he's not even getting his reserve price, and seems pretty stubborn about what he thinks its worth.

I'm curious to know what you feel a Focus Mares with Front and Rear disk is worth?
Looks to be a pretty reasonable CX bike to me.... What's the reserve on it?

vickster

Legendary Member
From what I could see in the link I think £250 with a bin of £450. Neither sounds outrageous. Must have been £700+ new depending on spec. Price point for most new cx bikes

U

User33236

From what I could see in the link I think £250 with a bin of £450. Neither sounds outrageous. Must have been £700+ new depending on spec. Price point for most new cx bikes

I believe the only way to find out the reserve on eBay is either to bid up till the 'reserve not met' message goes away or alternatively, email the seller and ask, although they not tell you. As bids have gone as high as £350 and the reserve still has not been met then the reserve is obviously higher than that; possibly around the £400 mark.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh maybe the £250 was start price. On phone now so can't look at attachment but perhaps someone else can

If the bike is too much for the OP then he can find another

The seller has ended it now anyway, so IMO he's either changed his mind or done a deal offline with someone.

I can't tell from the poor ad he placed exactly what model of Mares it is, but it could be an AX 4.0 that's had it's guards removed, and if so the RRP new was £799, but TBH that's irrelevant now.

FWIW a pi$$ poor advert like that, (poor content/description and poor pic), is not one that would entice me or give me any confidence in the seller either*

*I have been wrong about things before though ;)

PS: the Mares is a great bike though IME.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh maybe the £250 was start price. On phone now so can't look at attachment but perhaps someone else can

If the bike is too much for the OP then he can find another
Looking at the ad again, it got to £250, reserve not met. BIN £450 which doesn't seem too far off the mark frankly

OP
OP
C

cycleman

There is often a gap between what people think a bike is worth and what people are willing/want/able to afford to pay for it. I find myself in this situation myself at the moment and have done so previously.
What you need to realise is that bikes are sold for a number of reasons and not all of them surround a need for money.

Take the 2012 S-Works Venge I have for sale at the moment, If you went to build that very bike today you could not do it for under 9k and it cost me more than that, so I'm asking 5k for it... I feel someone saving 4k is a reasonable amount and a big enough hit for me to take to my wallet.
Other people though seem to think its worth a 2010 Boardman Comp and a grand, An old Vauxhall Vectra SRi or noticably less than I am asking.
I'm not bitching about it, or suggesting they are wrong, but I have no real need to sell the bike... If nobody wants a great spec bike at what I consider to be reasonably priced. I will keep it and when my new Venge is finished I will have a choice of S-Works Venges to ride.

I'm not going to budge on my price for the bike (will break it if anyone wants the frame set though), it was priced at the minimum I would want to take for it, so I don't have a need to negotiate and I think its fair enough that the owner of that bike feels the same way.

IMHO sounds like your interested in the bike, but do not want to pay the asking price, if that's the case walk away.

Hi,

I'm not interested in the bike at all. I just thought it would be an interesting debate. I thing he should start it at 2 thirds of what he wants and do a 10 day listing.

If 12 hours before the auction end he hasn't got a price close enough then cancel it

vickster

Legendary Member
Surely he can do what he wants?

Personally, for selling bikes on eBay I use BIN with best offer and limits set (that you can adjust), this has worked a few times for me

Top Bottom