How much money are you willing to spend on cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I too spend whatever I want to. Much like ‘Zanelad’ above, I don’t smoke, drink, gamble or run my own car. Lucky enough to have no mortgage, but still have my twins at home. A little disposable income allows me the flexibility of buying anything without feeling guilty that it may have been better spent elsewhere. Physical and mental well-being are worthwhile investments.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The bike I bought nine years ago cost £750. The one I bought two years later, my favourite, cost fifty quid less. I don't think that buying more expensive bikes is going to make me a better cyclist, unfortunately.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
My most expensive bike is an Elephant Bike. Well you buy two really as they send one to Malawi to help out someone there. I highly recommend them for pootling about or transport stuff but if you dont have £300, you can get an standard Pashley Mailstar for about £100 elsewhere. I also have a cheap but still very functional Chinese generic Fat Bike that i got second hand. Lets just call it £350 ive spent on bikes. Other items not a great deal more than that. Ive been mulling the purchase of a Trike for some year or so but still haven't pulled out my wallet for various reasons. Who knows...

1606228997602.jpeg

johnblack

Über Member
I'll spend what's required when I need to. I don't go out to spend loads but I'm lucky enough that I don't have to really budget too hard. If I'm buying a new bike, I'd probably just stick it on the ride to work scheme as I'm not limited to the 1k budget and it's a good tax reduction. Plus my LBS will stick any old thing on the invoice so I can spend a bit extra on nice things and they all get put down as "safety equipment"

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

Never understood this. Just give real cost if asked.

Collecting a bike shortly. £3.20 total cost. Yes, there's a decimal place in there.

A good one? Doubt it. But I'll check it over on Friday.
A chap I worked with in Knottingley came into work one day and very proud of his weekend car boot purchase.
Steel framed, drop handle bar bike with down tube shifters, a real classic.
“150 that Paul”
bloody hell it’s in cracking condition, lovely looking thing. What a bargain for 150 quid....
”150 quid ??, bugger off, it was £1.50 !! He wanted £4.50 but I haggled him down 😀😀

A chap I worked with in Knottingley came into work one day and very proud of his weekend car boot purchase.
Steel framed, drop handle bar bike with down tube shifters, a real classic.
“150 that Paul”
bloody hell it’s in cracking condition, lovely looking thing. What a bargain for 150 quid....
”150 quid ??, bugger off, it was £1.50 !! He wanted £4.50 but I haggled him down 😀😀
I really miss them old guys. Crazy but great fun. Machining foot rests for classic Ducati’s at work

That is so true, and it's important not to forget this. For me, cycling is a mixture of enjoyment. exercise, and cheap short distance utility transport. This does not require expensive bikes, clothing, or gadgets.
I spend as little as possible and as much as necessary on cycling. Tyres are my biggest cost, not bikes or kit. I reckon I've spent less than £50 on cycling in total this year, and not much over a hundred quid in any previous year. All my bikes are secondhand, I do all my own maintenance, so it just comes down to the odd small accessory and wear & tear replacements.
I'm much the same. I only spend money on the bike when I've tried to fix what ever is wrong and can't.
It sounds like my old bike is a pile of junk. It's not and rides well and silently.
The main noise is me puffing.:blush:

Rhysito

I think you need to focus spending on anything that will encourage you to get out and ride. If your not racing competitively doent waste money on super light weight components - focus on clothing that will keep you warm and a bike computer!

Top Bottom