How much money are you willing to spend on cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

As we all know cycling is addictive and there are always great new products on the market. How much money are you willing to spend, how much is too much? What things are worth it and which ones are not?

Drago

Legendary Member
All of it.

rivers

How far can I go?
It depends what you want to do and where you want to go with your cycling. If you're happy just to ride for the sake of riding, you don't need much more than a bike and some accessories and tools. Right now, I'm training for my next big challenge, which has seen me invest in a coach and a power meter, and a few other training aids. But before this year, I didn't have much more than my bolt and speed/cadence sensors and a heart rate monitor. For me, it's worth it to spend the money based on my goals. It's a very individual thing.

vickster

Legendary Member
As much as I need to and can justify to myself
I’m not interested in training for challenges, nor in gadgets, or indoor cycling with computer games like Zwift. Broadly, I much prefer traditional bike and component design so whatever the new developments you are referring to probably hold limited appeal to me.
I’m sure as my joints become even tattier, I might consider an e-bike to go with a new knee :laugh:

I want a fat bike with Rohloff and the braze ons for front and rear rack. I keep a search going on ebay. Might part £1500 second hand but its not going to happen. They haven't been around long enough for any second hand ones to turn up. New would make me cry. If I tried one first I might just pay for a new one ...might.

Sharky

Guru
It's a bit like those spinning plates on poles. Takes a lot to get them going, but once spinning, a little tweak to keep them going.

Have 4 bikes all paid for, so it's only the consumables and occasional wheel set that I spend money on. If I were to lose them all in a fire, I would happily pay £1k to £2k each to replace them.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Same as Vickster, I spend what I need to when I need something, and only if I can justify it. Sometimes that can be a big chunk, but often it's nothing for many months on end.
My last big spend was 200 on a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt about 5 months ago, I don't go in for gadgets really but I was lacking a navigation system and needed one for a long tour that's coming up. Before that, the last big spend was 1200 just over a year ago (a steel tourer) just because I've always wanted one and I got a good work bonus that basically made it a no-cost-to-me, no-brainer. Oh and I've bought panniers and a really good waterproof in the last year too. Before that, nothing significant was bought for a couple of years.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I have what I need. If I could have a new body, perhaps I could make use of some superlight whizzbang unobtanium fillingrattling speedmonster with ever increasing quantities of rapidly superseded and instantly obsolescent gears and fittings, but since that is not going to happen, I have jumped off the consumerist escalator and am enjoying what I have, thank you very much. Cycling is my escape from all that nonsense.

As much as I need to and can justify to myself
I’m not interested in training for challenges, nor in gadgets, or indoor cycling with computer games like Zwift. Broadly, I much prefer traditional bike and component design so whatever the new developments you are referring to probably hold limited appeal to me.
I’m sure as my joints become even tattier, I might consider an e-bike to go with a new knee :laugh:
E bikes are very traditional 🤭

vickster

Legendary Member
Is the OP a researcher for a well-known YouTube cycling channel?

Disguised behind newbie questions is often snippets of language which suggest an experienced cyclist.
Maybe, she was asking who the favourite GCN presenter is...personally I’ve no idea who any of them are ^_^ never watched it :becool:

Top Bottom