How much money are you willing to spend on cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mburton1993

As my frame and forks cost £60 my rule is no other components for more than that. I’ve added up the various bits and pieces (on a very slow work day) and the whole comes to a cost of around £500ish. That'd be my limit.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There are about £7000 worth of bikes alone in my collection at cost price, my actual spend last year though would only have been a couple of hundred though,

Not massively different to my fleet, when I think about it, but my stuff is obviously rather more "vintage" than yours. I've got four 531 framed machines from the 80's, which would equate to around £3k if not more in today's money if you adjust for inflation what they cost the original buyer new. Then I've got my lesser quality stuff, probably another £2k originally at the minimum. The major difference is all bar one of mine was bought secondhand, at around 5p or less in the £ of their new price. I certainly do cycling on the cheap, but it's not all cheap cycling in quality terms. I have machinery now that I could never have afforded as a youngster and I'm making the most of it.

Nebulous

Guru
I’m not sure I admit that, even to myself. I sometimes tell friends that I have a strict budget for cycling, and I’ll stay within it as long as I don’t buy anything else until August 2025.

When thinking about this I was feeling virtuous as I can’t remember buying anything for the bike this year. I bought about £100 worth of chains in early summer, and most of them were for other people.

Then I remembered the bibs, tights, merino jersey and new gloves I bought in the last three months. Then there was a new fan last week for my turbo.

Johnno260

Veteran
Depends I needed/wanted new wheels, mass produced vs handmade so I went with a local wheel builder I don’t regret it.
Gadgets I like and my Garmin lights are fantastic so is the radar for a solo rider, it doesn’t replace a shoulder check but it’s a very nice aid.
My next target is a Ti frame, which I will save for and make a choice about when the time is right, seems to be a nice frame builder in Brighton I may use.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

I’m not sure I admit that, even to myself. I sometimes tell friends that I have a strict budget for cycling, and I’ll stay within it as long as I don’t buy anything else until August 2025.

When thinking about this I was feeling virtuous as I can’t remember buying anything for the bike this year. I bought about £100 worth of chains in early summer, and most of them were for other people.

Then I remembered the bibs, tights, merino jersey and new gloves I bought in the last three months. Then there was a new fan last week for my turbo.
For me the biggest expense is definitely cycling clothing. I don't really know much about bike mechanics so don't really buy things to upgrade my bike.

Nebulous

Guru
For me the biggest expense is definitely cycling clothing. I don't really know much about bike mechanics so don't really buy things to upgrade my bike.

Many of my bike parts are replacements / general maintenance rather than upgrades. I bought new wheels with a dynamo hub, and lights for long-distance overnight riding and a longer rear derailleur and bigger cassette to get a broader range of gearing on hills, but need replacement chains / tyres / cleats / brake pads more often than I upgrade.

I started off reluctant to buy expensive clothing and have gradually moved up the price ranges. Initially I bought some Aldi / Lidl stuff, but then i have really appreciated key items. Decent bibs are worth it if you are spending all day on a bike. My Gore jacket really blew me away. I was reluctant to pay for it, even in a sale, but cannot believe how good it is.

keithmac

Guru
I'm in the buy right or buy twice camp.

Same as with my tools, I don't mind spending for a quality well built item.

A new ebike may be on the horizon next year, Carbon Belt, Hub gearing and Mid drive (if such a bike exists!).

pjd57

Veteran
I spend a lot less than I used to spend on petrol.
I'm happy to spend money on my bikes and keeping them in a decent state as I know it's buttons compared to what it used to cost to run a car.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
Many of my bike parts are replacements / general maintenance rather than upgrades. I bought new wheels with a dynamo hub, and lights for long-distance overnight riding and a longer rear derailleur and bigger cassette to get a broader range of gearing on hills, but need replacement chains / tyres / cleats / brake pads more often than I upgrade.

I started off reluctant to buy expensive clothing and have gradually moved up the price ranges. Initially I bought some Aldi / Lidl stuff, but then i have really appreciated key items. Decent bibs are worth it if you are spending all day on a bike. My Gore jacket really blew me away. I was reluctant to pay for it, even in a sale, but cannot believe how good it is.

I mostly pick up Endura stuff in out of season sales, I don't care if the colours are 1-2 seasons out, the clothing seems a nice compromise with price and quality.

D2D cycling as well, cheaper than Endura but the bibs are comfortable and a decent price point, also when I had a zip failure I sent them a picture and they replaced the item with utterly no hassle, I don't mind if I have issues that are dealt with in a fair manner for all.

I have some D2D base layer tops as well, I like them as much as the Endura stuff.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Maintenance needs doing when needed so sometimes it's not much cost, other times it's a lot. This year has been quite costly for the full suspension, but all just wear and tear - tyres, two new chainrings, cassette, chain, frame bearings, wheel and freehub bearings.

I don't tend to buy new bikes often, and 3 of the 4 are 30 years old (had since new) and the latest is 4 years old.

clothing - I've got loads from over the years and just tend to buy if stuff getting worn out.

Zanelad

Guru
I spend whatever I want to. Having said that I don't spend a lot, but I will go for quality (in my eyes) over cost. I don't smoke, drink very little and have no expensive hobbies apart from cycling and a couple of ageing motorbikes. The house is paid for, the kids have left home, although they still seem to be a drain on our pockets, so what else is there to spend it on. I am planning a nice titanium framed "last" bike when I retire in a couple of years. Not sure how I'll get that past Mrs Z.... probably lie about the cost and buy her a nice piece of jewellery as usual:smile:

Last edited:
If I had a penny for every time I had spent a penny, I'd be rich, but it would have still cost less than car ownership. Always a no brainer.

Top Bottom