How much money has commuting saved you so far this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I just spotted this in @dclane's signature so it got me thinking. I don't have a car but previous to commuting every day I was borrowing a friend's van and spending about £50 a month in diesel.

Money saved / made
  • by not buying diesel since I started daily commuting - £300
  • sold Claud Butler tourer - £160

Bikes bought / built
  • Singlespeed £200
  • Mr. Blue bike (roadie) £300
Hmm, I'm going to stop there as once I take account of inner tubes and assorted other bits and bobs I need for regular maintenance I think I'm currently running in the red. Oops.
How about you? Are you breaking even? If so how?

Jmetz

Negative alot

400bhp

Guru
About £600 vs car

About £700 vs tram

Above is ignoring actual cost of purchasing a bike (by my calcs I'd say that's about £35 a year)

defy-one

The Triban has paid for itself, the Spesh will take longer as i'm commuting less in the cold (fair weather rider) and the Defy ...... Never will ..... My mistress ;-)

Nocode

I suppose bike servicing and replacing components needs to be factored in as well?

No idea how much either of those are and how frequently they need to be done given I've only recently started commuting by bike.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Monthly Travelcard for trains & DLR would cost me £111 a month so it's a no brainer.
Though my new(ish) commuter bike cost me £1100, Sold the old one for £400. New chain £20. New brake pads £6.00n new tyres £44.00.
So well in the black.

sabian92

Über Member
If I got the bus to college that's 3.50 a day * 4, so that's £14 a week, although I do use the car so probably £2 fuel each way which is £16 a week. I'm in college 39 weeks a year so somebody who is better than me at maths can work it out :biggrin:

Drago

Legendary Member
Not a great deal. I used to run a Peugeot 107 for commuting. It was all bought and paid for, cost £20 to tax for a year, £100 to insure fully comp and returned over 60MPG without fail. The running cost spread over a year was so tiny it was almost un-noticeable.

400bhp

Guru
I suppose bike servicing and replacing components needs to be factored in as well?

No idea how much either of those are and how frequently they need to be done given I've only recently started commuting by bike.

I've got a spreadsheet I've been running for the last 2 years to keep score. Stuff that is multi use (i.e. is used on the commute and leisure) gets apportioned between commute cost and non commute cost by non commute/commute miles.

martint235

Dog on a bike
My train fare is about £1200 a year. The commuter bike is now about 5 years old (frame was changed for free when I broke it). I'd say I've spent maybe £300 on maintenance bits and bobs for it.

Lelly is a different matter though but that's my hobby!!

Nocode

I've got a spreadsheet I've been running for the last 2 years to keep score. Stuff that is multi use (i.e. is used on the commute and leisure) gets apportioned between commute cost and non commute cost by non commute/commute miles.
Now that sir, is very very organised! :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't keep count. Spend loads on bike stuff, but it's a damn site cheaper than £250 a month in fuel I was paying out before I packed in the job that was 30 miles away.

Top Bottom