How much or how often are you riding on the drops ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Around here, you need to see the road in front, so drops aren't ideal!! (oh and I am not terribly flexible and have a gammy back, even though the bikes fit)

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Only in a head wind mainly,.... tbh, i'm not sure it makes much difference with me as i then find hard to give it some oomph due to my body being more folded.

I actually find it much more effective to tuck the elbows in and hold on to the outside of the hoods when battling against a headwind.

Or, failing that, buy a TT bike for windy days!

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Drops - headwinds and downhills and that's it.

Feels like the most un-natural position in the world to me.

I love my CX bike but tbh a chubby tyred flat bar with hydraulic disc brakes would do me next time around. Some of those BMC's look nice although they carry hefty price tags.

Would prob' get a triple too as so many of the big hills near me are beyond me with my current set-up (46/36 12-28).

G3CWI

Veteran
I actually find it much more effective to tuck the elbows in and hold on to the outside of the hoods when battling against a headwind.

Another trick is to turn round and cycle the other way. Many years ago I did a long cycle tour across the north of Scotland. There the gusts were strong enough to stop me completely. One day I only managed about 20km and pitching my tent was never going to be an option so I slept in an old workman's shed by the roadside in the middle of no-where. Many years later on a family holiday we found the shed and I got my bemused wife and children to stand by it for a photo.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Another trick is to turn round and cycle the other way. Many years ago I did a long cycle tour across the north of Scotland. There the gusts were strong enough to stop me completely. One day I only managed about 20km and pitching my tent was never going to be an option so I slept in an old workman's shed by the roadside in the middle of no-where. Many years later on a family holiday we found the shed and I got my bemused wife and children to stand by it for a photo.

But sometimes it's 25000 miles in the other direction. :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
For commuting and club rides i will mostly stay on the hoods, for solo rides i will either ride on the drops or have the arms resting on the bar like a TT position .

bpsmith

Veteran
Who said I can't ?

You did in your first post. You say it's uncomfortable, but a proper bike fit would make it comfortable for you, assuming the bike is the right size.

Was aimed at others in this thread too, but never meant that you physically can't, but that you don't feel comfy too as not fitted right.

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

You did in your first post. You say it's uncomfortable, but a proper bike fit would make it comfortable for you, assuming the bike is the right size.

Was aimed at others in this thread too, but never meant that you physically can't, but that you don't feel comfy too as not fitted right.

Just alien as new to road bikes.

I had a bike fit before buying.

Using the drops quite a bit more now especially when on a long stretch of road,did find it awkward when I first started again but I must be getting a bit more flexible now:training::rolleyes:
I also find I am riding on the tops a bit as well rather than the hoods especially when climbing;well what counts for climbing in the fens!

bpsmith

Veteran
The only way to get used to the drops, is to use them more and more.

Best position to get the air in your lungs efficiently is on the tops, right in the middle I find, on the steeper climbs. Nowhere near brakes, but not usually needed when climbing that much.

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

The only way to get used to the drops, is to use them more and more.

Best position to get the air in your lungs efficiently is on the tops, right in the middle I find, on the steeper climbs. Nowhere near brakes, but not usually needed when climbing that much.

Totally.

I watched a Youtube video about hill climbing and discovered that tip. Definitely helps.

Top Bottom