How much or how often are you riding on the drops ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Headwinds and downhill as above, and for speed. Also particularly on twisty roads at speed because you're in better control on the drops. On long-distance rides it's another change of position - quite important if you're in the saddle all day.
As above really.
My new Audax build will have slightly higher bars than my other roadies as I am more likely to be spending longer periods into a headwind riding all day in one direction for example, so more time on the drops in a slightly less severe position.
I do really like the idea of semi drop bars like the On-One Midge bars though as a good compromise.
I could also do with losing some aerobelly as well!

on my last road bike I never used the drops, they were not comfortable and I wasn't happy using them. On my current road bike, I use them a reasonable amount. It provides a different hand grip and I have also found the slightly different position gives me more power in my legs (don't know why or how, but it does). so downhill, into a headwind, or even on the flat when I have a long boring section that I want to get over and done with... and sometimes if I am being really lazy even uphill (though never standing on the pedals)....

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

As above really.
My new Audax build will have slightly higher bars than my other roadies as I am more likely to be spending longer periods into a headwind riding all day in one direction for example, so more time on the drops in a slightly less severe position.
I do really like the idea of semi drop bars like the On-One Midge bars though as a good compromise.
I could also do with losing some aerobelly as well!

Couldn't we all !

You're allowed a bit of a belly once you get over 40 anyway !

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

please do not tell my OH that! He is currently working on reducing his - unwillingly but he is working on it... (and there are almost visible results as well! :laugh: )

Over last 3 years I have shifted 2 1/2 stone and 4 inches off the waist through diet and exercise down the gym.

Since maintaining my healthy diet and taking up cycling I have PUT ON about 5lbs !

GrahamS

There are few things finer than attacking a short punchy climb on the drops and in a big gear and hauling on the drops as you get out of the saddle and power to the top.

As long as you don't underestimate the length of the hill, that can suck.

GrahamS

Climbing on the drops more is my new resolution, I suspect it might look as cool as it feels.

sight-pin

Veteran
Only in a head wind mainly,.... tbh, i'm not sure it makes much difference with me as i then find hard to give it some oomph due to my body being more folded.

maltloaf

I loved Pantani. Lost all respect for him now though.

I spend about 10% time on the drops, lots of downhill and much more if into a headwind. I also spend a fair amount of time with my head down, elbows at 90 degrees holding the hood tops like joysticks after seeing someone mention it on here. Not quite as aero as being on the drops but much more comfortable for longer. Works for me.

G3CWI

Veteran
I'm finding that I use the drops more and more. I find the position quite comfortable and have even found myself sprinting out of the saddle from the drops. Currently I probably use the drops 25% of the time.

Top Bottom