How much should I offer?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

There's currently quite a nice frame + fork on eBay that I'm interested in for my single speed build. I contacted the seller and he's told me that he's open to offers and that he would be happy to end the auction early but as I've never purchased something like this before, I have no idea what I should be paying for it.

How much should I offer (bearing in mind that postage is £16)?

$(KGrHqJHJEUFGrjHTgftBRri0UR0jw~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqQOKosFGWQZgCyPBRri0bUuV!~~60_12.JPG
$T2eC16JHJGUFFh28Fu8CBRri0Zpk7!~~60_12.JPG
$T2eC16RHJHIE9nyseG18BRri0d6v2Q~~60_12.JPG

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You could always ask what sort of price. Dont get suckered into too high a price especially if you dont know the frame material or make.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

You could always ask what sort of price. Dont get suckered into too high a price especially if you dont know the frame material or make.

I've sent him a message asking him how much he's looking for. The description says it's made of steel but it also says that it's been painted over so he doesn't know the make.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

The seller says "I didnt really have a price in mind, I am selling for a friend who acquired it on a house clearance. Please just make a sensible offer and I am sure he will be ok with it, regards" - that doesn't help me much, anyone know how much a frame like this would go for?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

to me it looks a low end bike so dont think its reynolds tubing but ya never know

Not too worried if it's not Reynolds tubing, it's just something that'll get me to school and back and that I'm not worried about locking up for 6 hours at a time

ianjmcd

Über Member
Goes and outbids jazloc :-) evil grin

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

It should be Reynolds given the fork crown and head tube lugs.

Offer 50 ? Some frames attract crazy money, so dont get into that.

Offered £40 as I've only got £55 in my Paypal right now and he said that was too cheap and he'd be looking for more around the £50 mark. Guess I'll let the auction continue

HovR

Über Member
I was thinking lower. The lugs on the headtube are nice, but other features indicate a lower quality frame (pressed dropouts rather than forged, all other lugs are nothing fancy).

The 'suicide levers' are also indicative of a lower quality frame, although that stem looks like it could be a GB stem which is fairly decent. And those cranks look like they might be cottered, not the more desirable square taper.

As there is no indication to the make of the frame I don't think I would offer any more than £30. Frames tend to go for silly money on eBay and are much cheaper else where - I got my Reynolds 501 Peugeot PGN10 for only £30 as a complete bike just needing a clean-up and new axles!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

The guy said that he would do £50 all in so £35 for the frame + £15 postage - should I go for it?

HovR

Über Member
If you want a frame with minimum effort and have £50 to spend on the frame alone, then go for it, but I personally feel that you should be able to get a better deal on a bike locally. With that frame also factor in the possible cost of a new bottom bracket, which will most likely require a new crankset (around £40 with a Stronglight ST55 and Shimano sealed BB).

I'd be looking in local classified ads, especially with you living right next to a large city like Glasgow, there's gotta be loads of bikes on offer. Gumtree normally has some reasonable deals on second hand bikes, although they get snapped up quicker than on eBay!

Also spread the word that you're looking for a classic road bike frame. You may be lucky and find that your parents/grandparents/friends parents have an un-used bike they will give you for free or cheap!

ianjmcd

Über Member
I was thinking lower. The lugs on the headtube are nice, but other features indicate a lower quality frame (pressed dropouts rather than forged, all other lugs are nothing fancy).

The 'suicide levers' are also indicative of a lower quality frame, although that stem looks like it could be a GB stem which is fairly decent. And those cranks look like they might be cottered, not the more desirable square taper.

As there is no indication to the make of the frame I don't think I would offer any more than £30. Frames tend to go for silly money on eBay and are much cheaper else where - I got my Reynolds 501 Peugeot PGN10 for only £30 as a complete bike just needing a clean-up and new axles!

yeah looks like low range raleigh to me

Top Bottom