How much should petrol/diesel cost us?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Leave it as it is, then it can go up or down.

Tax an extra 20% on Chelsea tractors or any car that has an RRP new cost of over 50k.

Those Chelsea tractors are there to cope with the attrotious pot holes and rugged terrain of our roads in this first world country of ours. Once that is fixed, I'm all up for the extra tax.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Those Chelsea tractors are there to cope with the attrotious pot holes and rugged terrain of our roads in this first world country of ours. Once that is fixed, I'm all up for the extra tax.
The increased use of heavyweight Chelsea tractors are part of why potholes are getting worse! Ban them first, fix roads after, else you're pouring taxes into holes in the ground which will reopen quickly.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks for your answers.

Interesting!

So are we all agreed that the next step to reduce emissions should be made by someone else?

Back to the original question, I would raise fuel prices annually by 10p per litre each year for ten years, and ditch VED. I have no problem with people owning gas guzzlers, its using them that causes pollution!

How that could be sold to voters I would leave to my special adviser. I'm sure he/she would come up with a cunning plan.

Edit: And spend loads on buses, footpaths and cycle ways of course

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Worried about climate change? Stop reproducing in such numbers.

When I was born there were 2.5 billion of us on the planet, there are now 7.5 billion and that is over a time period that is just the blink of an eye from the period human life first appeared. By 2050 estimates suggest there will be ten billion (And rising).

We all produce a huge amount of carbon whether we drive or not, we need to eat, cloth ourselves, have somewhere to live, heat our homes and power our computers and smartphones and we are probably beyond the point where the planet can continue to support us for more than a relatively short time more. We're farked, in my humble opinion.

It's been fun, mind. We've had a great craic.

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
Personally I'd go for road pricing based on multiple factors: purpose, congestion, distance, and urban/rural driving. That way a farmer in a Landy taking sheep to market, or a teacher driving a long way to work in her Smart car in the Peak District would pay little, but a Chelsea tractor driving through... well, Chelsea in rush hour would clock up payments like a taxi meter, and the carpenter in the next lane would pay less because he's driving a commercial vehicle. A Volunteer lifeboat crew member could have a tag which can be used at a lifeboat station to cancel his trip there and back.

At the same time, make it really inconvenient to drive a private car through any city, and massively boost public transport and pedestrian cycle facilities. Fortunately, improving active travel/public transport facilities, by definition makes it more difficult for private vehicles cars (The reverse is also true, as our cities prove).

I would imagine much of the money collected in such a system would be used to pay for said system?

Drago

Legendary Member
The increased use of heavyweight Chelsea tractors are part of why potholes are getting worse! Ban them first, fix roads after, else you're pouring taxes into holes in the ground which will reopen quickly.
Not according the civil engineer my sister married. All cars are much of a muchness jn terms if the damage they do to the fabric or the road.

mustang1

Guru
Fine if the APC is pedal powered.

Isn't there also an argument that people who drive lots would have more experience, and therefore be safer drivers?

For private cars in cities that's fine, but rural businesses will get hammered if fuel prices increase.

Now, you could argue that as energy becomes more expensive than human labour, that will mean more localised businesses instead of one centralised company providing a service over a wide area, which could be a good thing. However I don't think a government will want to be seen as hurting small rural companies.

I detect a slight hint of militancy in your posts.
Everyone should line in a city. Its more ecological.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not according the civil engineer my sister married. All cars are much of a muchness jn terms if the damage they do to the fabric or the road.
With apologies to your brother-in-law, if he really thinks a 2400kg Tesla SUV wears roads out only as much as a 600kg old Mini or 750kg Smart, then I hope not to travel over his work at a critical moment!

mustang1

Guru
Get rid of cars.
Then bikes.
Then shoes.
Then computers, phones and other things that ruin the planet.

screenman

Legendary Member
Unfortunately if some of the young born this year want to see the 22nd Century something has to change
Not sure about the middle ages, but there were people in our village in the 1970's who only left the village once a week to do some shopping, they would only go to the nearest 'big' town Doncaster for hospital appointments when forced. Never been abroad, not even seen the sea nor been on holiday.

We have plenty in our village now like that, some not very old .

Top Bottom